8.33 kHz Radio MOD Approval Time Scale

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Christopher Rose

8.33 kHz Radio MOD Approval Time Scale

Post by Christopher Rose » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:41 pm

I have submitted all my paperwork to the LAA for the 8.33 radio MOD
(That is - Mod 7 Form, Worksheet, Weight And Balance form, Authorised Release Certificate, Circuit Diagram, FT-Avionics Form, Diagram of cable routing, Photo of location of radio, Drawing of radio mounting tray - Phew :)

I am just wondering how long the approval process will take, as I am grounded until the radio installation is approved!

Does anyone have any experience of how long this process is taking?

Chris

(PS - With 2600 aircraft on the LAA books and maybe two-thirds of those with fixed radios, that is approximately 1733 approvals needed in the remaining working days before 31/12/2017. The LAA need to be approving eight installations every single day for the rest of the year.)

Seanjd

Re: 8.33 kHz Radio MOD Approval Time Scale

Post by Seanjd » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Must be a lot of radios that are simply a straight swap though :?:
Sean Donno

wigglyamp

Post by wigglyamp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Will the LAA accept modifications approved directly by a CAA A8-21 design organisation?
Harry Lees
Avionics geek.
RV12 builder/flyer G-DOUZ

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 am

Hi all.

In answer to the questions above.

1. We don't necessarily require quite such a comprehensive package of information, certainly for a more simple mod. The MOD-7 form gives you guidance on the supporting documentation required.

2. Yes. The workload for our engineers is high. However, so long as the documentation is clear and complete, and we don't have any queries, we are committed to turning around all such applications within a maximum of 28 days from their receipt.

In particular please make sure that you fully complete the areas specifying circuit protection details of all avionics equipment installed (i.e. fuse / circuit breaker rating) and aerial installations – including those previously installed and approved – it is the lack of completion of these two areas that leads to a significant number of documents being queried. Please help us to help you by making sure the details on the /MOD-7 form are clear and complete!

3. Regarding modifications approved directly by an A8-21 organisation. No, we cannot automatically approve these. An application must still be made on a MOD-7 form, as we still need to verify the installation.

Steve Slater

Christopher Rose

Post by Christopher Rose » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 am

we are committed to turning around all such applications within a maximum of 28 days from their receipt.

Thanks - that's the answer to my question. Seems a long time to be grounded though.

Thanks for the hints on circuit protection and aerial installations.
I hope mine were clear enough.

Cheers
Chris

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16 pm

I guess they must have been, as I noticed your Certificate in the 'out' tray for tonight's post!

(I hasten to add this was normal service, not any special treatment!)

Christopher Rose

Post by Christopher Rose » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Wow, fantastic.

I know you guys have speeded things up since I bought my aircraft in 2012.
I wrote and thanked Adele Cooney, last summer, for turning my Permit Renewal around in just 22 hours from my posting it!
This looks like more quick service, thanks very much :)

Chris