NPPL after April 2018

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

oprince

NPPL after April 2018

Post by oprince » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:39 am

If the changes regarding UK licence priviledges and EASA aircraft do occur on 8th April 2018,

1) How will students train for a NPPL using a Medical Self-Declaration unless they are paying an instructor to train them in an Annex II aircraft they own or own a share in given that they will not be able to solo in an EASA aircraft owned and operated by a Flying School and Flying Schools will not be able to provide instruction in Annex II aircraft? Will there be exemptions permitting Flying Schools to own and operate Annex II aircraft?

2) How does a pilot with a UK licence go about obtaining an EASA part-FCL licence after the deadline if e.g. they are unable to meet the medical requirements for a LAPL Medical Certificate before April 2018? The logbook will demonstrate that the necessary training was undertaken. Will the admin fee go up or will pilots need to sit the EASA skills test?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
Oliver Prince

P5151

Re: NPPL after April 2018

Post by P5151 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Oliver

My understanding of this is that training does not require a medical when you are with an instructor. However of course problems will arise whe it comes to solo flight.

If I am wrong please correct me.
Steve Arnold

oprince

Post by oprince » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

It is the solo flight I am referring to. If they permit a student to fly solo in an EASA aircraft on a medical self-declaration then it makes a mockery of the new EASA restrictions on UK and EASA licences.
Oliver Prince

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 pm

If they permit a student to fly solo in an EASA aircraft on a medical self-declaration then it makes a mockery of the new EASA restrictions on UK and EASA licences.
If that's what it takes to get over the problem then I'd prefer to say it was a satisfactory derogation rather than a mockery.
EASA has the right to decide what Medicals it allows to validate its licences, and initially the CAA intended that, within the UK, we would be able to fly EASA aircraft with a Self Declaration. Unfortunately it was found that wasn't permitted by EASA rules (although you can fly non-EASA aircraft with a Self Declaration and an EASA PPL or LAPL).
It has been intimated that EASA intends going to some form of Self Declaration Medical, but when and in what form are unknown.
Amidst this uncertainty, AOPA is not supportive of moves to allow PtF homebuilts to be used for hire and reward for flight training. Hopefully though, we will see some positive action on that issue in the not too distant future and opportunities will arise for those unable to gain a LAPL Medical to train on and hire non EASA aeroplanes.

oprince

Post by oprince » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the info.

I agree that flexibility to permit training is welcome. However, what I meant was that if in the future EASA permits an exception can be made to permit a student to fly solo in an EASA aicraft on a self-declaration at a UK flying school then a qualified NPPL pilot should be permitted to fly an EASA aircraft with a self-declaration within the UK also.

I guess more will be revealed in time and I am very grateful to all those fighting our corner. I wish I could do more to help.
Oliver Prince

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Amidst this uncertainty, AOPA is not supportive of moves to allow PtF homebuilts to be used for hire and reward for flight training.
Maybe that's because AOPA is a commercial enterprise supported by commercial enterprises and has always put the concerns of flying schools ahead of private fliers.

John