RV10 or Sling4 or BearHawk or ???

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Cliffordagius

RV10 or Sling4 or BearHawk or ???

Post by Cliffordagius » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi All,

Just back as a member of the LAA after some years away and this time I am going to build something just not sure what. The mission has changed from a cheap fun aircraft before for just me and the Domestic Manager to one that needs to have space for the 2 boys as well (Currently 7 & 10).

So I am looking at 4 seat aircraft that can go from west London (Fairoaks/White Waltham) to Newcastle with the 4 of us and a family overnight bag. I want something that is proven hence the aircraft in the subject as there are many of them flying all over the world but which one and what are the merits/benefits of each. If you think I have missed an aircraft that I should consider then please let me know.

I know that this is one of those polarised questions where the RV crowd will say only RV etc but please if you could keep it to the good/bad points as I am sure I am not the only person with this question, and it would be good for the forum to have it as a searchable answer.

The last thought from me on the decision is the current exchange rates and also the shipping/import duty costs what would they realistically be?

Thanks and let the fun begin.

Cliff.
Clifford Agius

mike newall

Re: RV10 or Sling4 or BearHawk or ???

Post by mike newall » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm

RV10

There are no bad points :mrgreen:

Cliffordagius

Post by Cliffordagius » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:24 pm

What about shipping? I can't get the whole kit in one go and will need to ship in sections but it looks like it will add a massive amount on top and I guess the HMRC will want a chunk as well for importing.

I have tried to get onto the RVUK website to ask these questions but no replies for the people over there so hence the questions here.
Clifford Agius

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 pm

The Bearhawk is a good aircraft, but quite a different mission profile compared to the RV. Both good load haulers but a slower rag and tube back country vs a long range IFR capable tourer.
The RV factory support is one of the best and there is a big community of completed aircraft and satisfied owners.
I doubt that the cost of importing is much different between them. Shipping in one go would make sense if you can manage it. A 20' container could take either the pre-welded Bearhawk fuselage or quick build RV assemblies easily for about $2-3K. There is no import duty if imported correctly, just the VAT on kit and delivery costs.

If getting kits shipped piece-meal, the flat-pack RV standard kits will be a lot cheaper than the bulkier QB assemblies.
Mark Albery

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:52 am

Quote:
"I want something that is proven hence the aircraft in the subject as there are many of them flying all over the world ........."

The Sling has flown all the way around the world!
Amazing achievement, especially the very long crossing from South America to South Africa. I think 14 hrs non-stop....

A lot better performance than my 1948 vintage Piper!

Tony
Tony Nowak

dmcnicholl

Post by dmcnicholl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:43 am

I recall having read in the EAA magazine, many years ago, of a serial RV builder in the States who reckoned on putting together an RV in under a year, but I'd say thats not normal. With the modern glass avionics folks now like to install it'd probably be ambitious to do just the electrical fit in under a year.

Your sons are 7 & 10 now but they sure won't be when you're done building. Perhaps by then they'll be in their mid teens, that difficult time of life when they may not want to go anywhere with their parents, other than that you drive them to soccer practice or whatever! :wink: So you may only need two seats at the end of the day.

Not trying to put you off at all but my point is that your 'mission' may not be quite clearly defined.
Donald McNicholl

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Cliff

If you tried the RVforum.uk site, it is virtually defunct. I'm surprised you got no reply from the RV Sqn, rvuk.co.uk. You have to be a member, send an email to [email protected] with a few words about why you want to join - eg "thinking of building an RV-10". If you have joined, again I'm surprised you got nothing, but then we will all just suggest an RV10, although specific questions about freight, other costs, and performance should get answers.

There is a 10 down at Frensham that would be worth a visit, I know the owners, and I know the builder of a Sling 4, in fact he is now the British agent. PM me if you want details.

John. RV6A at Waltham.

paul330

Post by paul330 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:24 pm

I have previously built an RV-10 and am in the process of building a Bearhawk Bravo - both now in South Africa.

The RV-10 is fantastic. It'll certainly fulfill your mission and then some. The only thing against it is that you will find that the UK doesn't really allow you to use it's full potential unless you are going to go on trips to Europe - 3-4 hours at 8-10,000' is where it is happy.

The Bearhawk is also a great aircraft and, if you put in a 4-cylinder engine, will carry even more than the -10, albeit a little slower. Cabin is not as big, though. If you are wanting any rough strip work, then go for it as the -10 really prefers tarmac. I operate it out of a relatively smooth grass strip and I've made more than one repair to fairings in the last couple of years.

The Sling is a very economic aircraft but I think you will find it getting weight limited as your boys grow.

This is probably going to sound like heresy, but I would go for the Bearhawk - unless you are looking for IFR. Don't even consider building from plans - buy the Quickbuild. Doing the wings from scratch will save you a bit and give you more work to do if you wish, but at least get the pre-built spar and rib pack. If you put an IO540 in it, you would have an amazing STOL aircraft but you pay for it in cash and payload. I am going for a 195hp IO375 from Aerosport which will be more than adequate and still cruise around 120kts.

I'm just getting to the stage of "finishing" the fuselage initial fit and I've put in about 300 hours. The wings will take a lot less to get them to fitting stage. I estimate about 1000 hours to get it done (simple VFR) but that is with the experience of a previous build. The RV-10 (slow build to IFR/night standard) was over 3000. Not really comparing apples to apples but will give you some idea. Quality of both kits is excellent.

Hope this helps.....
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction