License Question

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Monica Wyer

License Question

Post by Monica Wyer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello,

I've brought a permit aircraft in Portugal and need to get it home to then get it transferred to the LAA/G-reg. I've checked with my insurer and they can insure me on it for the positioning trip - my question is whether I can legally fly a foreign registered experimental aircraft on my EASA license? Called the CAA and they couldn't answer the question...

Monica
Monica Wyer

Chris Martyr

Re: License Question

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Monica Wyer wrote: - my question is whether I can legally fly a foreign registered experimental aircraft on my EASA license?Monica
Hi Monica,
Surely if it's a Portugese reg'd a/c and you have an EASA PPL then nothing in the deal is "foreign" is it ?
Sounds like your insurers are a lot more on message than the CAA . The positioning flight shouldn't be any problem at all.
What type of aircraft is it ? And are there any on the LAA's books. That is the only potential stumbling block that I can see.

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 pm

As you know, in the UK the CAA accepts EASA licences for us to fly aircraft on a UK national permit so it is quite possible that other European authorities do the same. To get confirmation I think you will need to contact the Portugese aviation authority.

You say that the aircraft is on a Permit to Fly; it might be an EASA Permit to Fly. If it is then your EASA licence is fine. Also, if it is an EASA Permit then you are going to need to check how to transfer the 'management' of it to LAA or CAA.

Best of luck with your new toy.

Monica Wyer

Post by Monica Wyer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 am

Thank you Jeremy and Chris,

Yes it seems so straight forward as we're in EASA but I was concerned given the vague response I received from the CAA. I don't like taking things for granted. Your answers concur with my inspector's thoughts though. It's an RV so no issue with type acceptance.

Regards,

Monica
Monica Wyer