What happened to all the Freds?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

4535jacks

What happened to all the Freds?

Post by 4535jacks » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 pm

My search for a single seat VW powered aircraft or restoration project has brought me to researching the Clutton Fred. I can see there are 25 on the uk register but very few are still flying. Most seem to have been built in the 80-90s but have not had a permit in the last ten years. Why is this? Do the airframes only last 30 years despite being wood? Is the glue that what used? Did most of them crash? And where are all of these aircraft now- I assume most are stuck at the back of a barn somewhere?

I have seen that two are being rebuilt by some school kids but still, where are rest!

It is shame that there aren't many still flying as it seems to epitomise the LAA and flying just for the sheer joy of being airborne.
Gary Jackson

Chris Martyr

Re: What happened to all the Freds?

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:44 pm

A very good question there Gary and definitely one that deserves to be asked .

I reckon that the answer though is probably the same as "where are all the VP's , or the Lutons" and a few other early day classic homebuilds.
They were built back in the days when an aircraft project meant fabricating every little bit. A great trade-off as far as cost is concerned , but it normally took a heck of a long time . But after they had seen a bit of service and their owner/builders had either stopped flying or dropped off their perch , many of them probably did get sadly abandoned in the corner of hangars and garages etc.

A great shame , as many people probably see it as a daunting prospect to restore an old wood/fabric type. It certainly isn't difficult , but it can be quite time consuming , which in this day and age of the 'instant result' is a great shame , as these types of aeroplane give fantastic pleasure at an absolutely minimum cost.
I'm not going to provoke World War 3 by making comparisons with the modern day quick-assembly types and their comparative costs , as there is plenty of room up there for all of us and it does all help to keep the coffers of the LAA topped up .
To quote an old boy who I was talking to in the U.S. a few years back ,"you wanna build something you can fly before you die". And that was a very realistic scenario back before the modern generation of homebuilds came along , because back then , over two thirds of projects started never got finished.
At least,,,not by the blokes who started them .
As far as FRED's safety record goes , I believe that they were sound , safe little aeroplanes and I don't think any would have suffered glue-failure as most will have probably used either Aerodux or Aerolite-306 during the build , both of which have excellent reputations. Indeed , Aerolite-306 is still available now.
So , keep looking Gary . I'm sure that there is a FRED out there just awaiting your arrival and with a bit of patience and the right Inspector , you could join that elite band [ :lol: ] of aviators who use "Gods own composite".
Take a look at the pic. in the top right. I'm on your side mate .. :D

dmcnicholl

Post by dmcnicholl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:47 am

Old wood and fabric machines are eminently repairable/restorable though sometimes getting hold of the materials can be a bit of a hunt but Aerodux is also still available though with a new name, 'Prefere'.

As to the FRED. I know of two that were built nearby. One was advertised for sale quite recently on AFORS and that must have been one of the quickest sales of all time on that web site. Sold by the afternoon of the first day of being advertised! That was a complete, current, ready to fly example.

Not perhaps the prettiest of aircraft but for cheap flying it might be hard to beat.
Donald McNicholl

4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I recently sold my Jodel mascaret which I owned ad maintained for 5 years hence why I prefer wooden aircraft as I have experience with them including wood and fabric repairs. I sold my aircraft to buy a house and it has left me with a very small budget. I have always admired the single seat VW types but have never flown one. I like the fact they are frugal flying and the VW removes the worries of an expensive overhaul cost. I am interested in the following types:

Jodel D9
Druine Turbalent
Taylor Monoplane
Clutton FRED
Luton Minor
VP-1
Corby starlet
Colibri MB-2
Palmanzy PL-4
Minimax

However my budget will only stretch to the Minimax, VP-1, Luton Minor and FRED. The rest I would have to buy a project. Another important thing for me is that I move house every 1-2 years so the ability to transport by road and store in my garage is important and rules out many of the above (particularly the D9 with its one piece box spar wing). I guess the main contenders given my requirements and budget are a FRED or Monoplane project as both would fit in my garage. There is a Minimax for sale at he moment which I could probably afford but I would like to go commercial one day and microlight hours don't count towards a CPL.

I woul particularly love a monoplane but at £6-£6.5k thy are out of my budget and projects seem to be rarer than hems teeth!

Ultimately like everyone else I would love to find an unloved LAA aircraft that I can buy for next to nothing and then spend several years and too much money restoring her and turning her into something personal that I can keep long term and fly now and again just to put a smile on my face and when I don't need a second seat.
Gary Jackson

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm

There is an outstanding Fred (number 22 in the list of registrations) that won the best plans built aircraft at the LAA rally a couple of years ago. A great deal of effort had obviously gone into the engine cowling on that particular aircraft as most look hideous. The builder also won best plans built aircraft for a VP1 back in the days of the rally at Cranfield I seem to remember. Many on here will know that he flies to the rally nearly every year in his kilt - getting to the rally in a FRED is quite a feat in itself !

There is a photo of his FRED in the registration list.

I suspect that FRED is out of date for a permit at present as the owner is a prolific builder, and one of the best there is.

dmcnicholl

Post by dmcnicholl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:21 am

I suspect that FRED is out of date for a permit at present as the owner is a prolific builder, and one of the best there is.
Wrong there Bill. I believe it's current and it flies from time to time. It's hangared not far form my own machine.
Donald McNicholl

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I had the pleasure of chatting to soft spoken, gentle giant, Alistair Sutherland many years ago at one of the Cranfield rallies when my own project was still very much in its embryonic stage. His main bit of advice was "keep it light". He was definitely preaching to the converted on that one and nothing on my baby is along for a free ride. Both his VP and his FRED are a credit to the PFA/LAA and what it stands for.
Gary,,don't let being on a low budget put you off. Low budget aeroplanes are as relevant a part of the LAA ethos now as they were back in the earlier days. Sometimes it is the low budget which drives innovation and imagination and it's amazing how much canny know-how and advice there is out there once you start scratching the surface on these matters.
Sure there are PtF types out there which'll cost you as much as a Ferrari , with the "if you have to ask the cost , then you can't afford it", type of price tag.
But then there are plenty of other homebuilders out there for whom that is not the case .......[ :wink: ]

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 am

Without doubt there are scores of projects abandoned or in partial stages of build throughout the UK. When I joined the PFA in 1976 (when the mag was two monthly) there were at least 30 "New Projects" listed in every issue. Most of them in those days were plans build. Now, it would be a fair bet that there are still some at an advanced stage of construction, but time, finances, house moves etc. led to them being shelved. It would be worth sticking an advert in the LAA mag to see what comes up.
I still have my plans in the loft for a Chasle Tourbillon single seater but weeks and months in submarines didn't help with my dream coming to life.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:37 am

Hey Bill,
Chasle Tourbillon............I wonder how many have 'Googled' that one this morning ?... :D

Well,,,,,I certainly had to and what a little beaut. Almost like a miniature Globe Swift .

I'd make sure the mice haven't eaten those plans mate. They're probably quite valuable.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 am

Aye, the plans are safe and dry. All the drawings, bulkheads, wing ribs etc are full size. Fuselage framework bulkheads are in 5mm plywood. There are no fabric coverings. The only thing I would like to have changed tho' is the u/c which looked a pigs ear to manufacture - better a modern sprung structure.

4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 pm

I had to google it! What a beautiful aircraft. I hope either yourself or someone does get round to building one as it would be nice to have one flying on the uk register. I agree that the undercarriage looks rather complex and reminds me of a nord.
Gary Jackson

cluttonfred

Post by cluttonfred » Sun May 21, 2017 8:09 am

Sorry I missed this, but there are still FREDs being built and restored around the world including in the UK.

I try to keep the site http://cluttonfred.info/ and FB page https://www.facebook.com/cluttonfred/ updated with the latest news.

Here's some progress from Guy Smith in Devon...

Bringing G-BMSL up to snuff!

Matthew Long (LAA 039527), Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Very interesting to me, as I had the pleasure of Flying Eric's prototype at Sywell over forty years ago before I and they moved Stateside. Eric told me that due to advancing years he sold Fred to another expat Brit in Vero Beach, so it ought to be in good hands.