Don Peacock VW CONVERSION PLANS

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Landsurfer

Don Peacock VW CONVERSION PLANS

Post by Landsurfer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Used to have a set of these, and have lost them .... many house moves, RAF.
New on here so could someone point me in the right direction please.
David Whiteside.
Hold my reins please, while i get down off my high horse !!!!

ColinC

Re: Don Peacock VW CONVERSION PLANS

Post by ColinC » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 am

Hi,

they used to be available via the LAA shop along with various aircraft plans sets. The plans have been converted to CD now, but I cannot see the Peacock drawings there.

Am sure a call to the LAA office will clarify the situation.

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Our archivist, Stuart Macconnacher is away at the moment, but I am sure we have some at LAA HQ. Alternatively, I may have a set in my personal Luton Minor/Taylor Monoplane archive. Drop me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll see what I can find.

Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 pm

As a newbie I must say i am surprised that classic PFA / LAA resources are not freely available on the site.

Where is the the Evans VP1 downloads, the Clutton "Fred" , and so many more classic airframe plans and info ...
When i joined (re-joined) the LAA i thought i would have access to all of these resources .... but no ... not the case ..
Where are the Peacock conversion plans ?

Not expecting anything for free, but if they are on the website could someone please guide me towards them ....
I could be having a "Senior Moment".
:D
David Whiteside.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Landsurfer wrote:As a newbie I must say i am surprised that classic PFA / LAA resources are not freely available on the site.
Then
Landsurfer wrote: Not expecting anything for free, but if they are on the website could someone please guide me towards them
Ian Melville

Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Ian Melville wrote:
Landsurfer wrote:As a newbie I must say i am surprised that classic PFA / LAA resources are not freely available on the site.
Then
Landsurfer wrote: Not expecting anything for free, but if they are on the website could someone please guide me towards them
"Freely" as in easily available as opposed to "free" smartie pants ..... :D
David Whiteside.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi,

you mention the FRED and VP1 plans; they remain the copyright/property of individuals, e.g. Eric Clutton for the FRED and I believe Bud Evans' son for the VP1. They are not LAA property so the LAA cannot publish them. For many aircraft designs, a little searching on the internet will reveal scanned plans, but these are unsupported by the designers. Importantly, even if builders have plans, they need to be sure they have a legitimate licence to build from them or could find themselves with an aircraft that cannot be registered.

http://www.evansair.com/store.html

http://cluttonfred.info/plansbooks#.WUPUKYWcFmA

The rights to the plans in the LAA shop have been gifted to the LAA but those are of a standard that perhaps falls short of modern expectations of clarity and accuracy, so are sold with a 'heritage' tag attached to reflect their status.

Having plans just to look at for informational purposes is another thing altogether. I guess there are a lot of people like me who have a small collection of various designs considered or worked on over the years and they are a useful technical reference.

Stuart MacConnacher is doing a sterling job of organising the LAA Archives and if you have specific interests, a chat with him, or a visit to Turweston to meet with him could be useful.

regards

Colin

ps I have a set of Peacock drawings if Stuart cannot dig some out.
Last edited by ColinC on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Cheese

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 pm

David,

whilst getting some drawings isn't likely to be a problem, wouldn't you be better of using Leburg or similar electronic ignition for your engine?

The advantages they give for starting and the weight saving ought to justify the cost?

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese

Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Have a full SR4 ignition package for the VW including all mounts and tensioners, new and unused and with overhaul certs for the mags.
I will look at the Leburg conversion and other CD ignitions.
I am returning to the homebuilt world after a 30 year gap and am very much in catch-up mode at the moment.
David Whiteside.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi David,
Welcome back to LAA land after your 30 year break. I also have a copy of the Peacock plans in my workshop and should you wish to peruse them , I would be quite happy to forward them to you . Although alot of the information in these plans , I believe is now considered to be obsolete but by no means irrelevant.
May I ask what you are building ? Presumably you are looking to equip your project with the Lucas SR4 magnetos.
My VW powered aeroplane has the LeBurg system and it is just so good , but if you have all the requirements for the Lucas mags then go ahead and install it , it has done all that is asked of it for nearly 60 years.
If you want to give us all a bit more type specific info , then I'm sure there are the resources here to get your project up there into the ether... :D