Chairman's Chat LA mag Sept'17

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Chris Martyr

Chairman's Chat LA mag Sept'17

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am

As ever , a great read and interesting 'lead-in' comment and observation from both Brians Hope & Davies.
I was particularly interested in Brian Davies' comments regarding the Scottish Aero Club Fly-In , especially his sentiments about pro-active airfield operators creating synergies with their resident pilots , engineers and support staff in the interests of a continued and successful future.

This is something that I also support and is also a near perfect description of how many U.S. EAA Chapters work. I have visited several EAA Chapters over the years and they all seem to have this massive cohesive bond , not just with the grass-roots 'Experimental' guys , but also with everyone else on the airfield and it seems to work well as it embraces so many more folk from within the aviation community.
Too many Struts over here seem to hold the meetings at pubs, clubs ,hotels , etc. I note that the Kent lads have theirs at a Golf Club [very posh.. :D ] and I'm not blaming the Struts either , as it's probably intransigence on the part of the airfields concerned rather than insularity from within the LAA community.
So , what's the solution ? Don't ask me as I'm not sure how to tackle this and I may well get strut co-ordinators coming along and telling me to shove orrrff .
But the change of logo was pretty much modelled on the EAA demographic and has been a success
[even though I was a bit grumpy about it at the time.. :D ]
So is there sense in modelling our own strut system in a way that it is more directly linked to an airfield as per EAA in the U.S ?
As Brian said , "food for thought".

Trevor Harvey

Re: Chairman's Chat LA mag Sept'17

Post by Trevor Harvey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Most enjoyable day, much appreciated the attendance and chat with the men from the top!
Pity about the wind, but it's Scotland we're used to it :D