Pilot Coaching Scheme.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Alan Kilbride

Pilot Coaching Scheme.

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

At the AGM it was stated that over 75% of the membership thought the PCS was a good idea, yet only 8% have used it.
Why?
Please give your thoughts on why it isn't used to it's full potential and how it could be used to greater effect.

Thanks.

mikehallam

Re: Pilot Coaching Scheme.

Post by mikehallam » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm sorry I missed the AGM.

Was all ready to fly the Rans up from Sussex but the winds apart from being strong & gusty were across the runway !
Didn't think the PCS was in the doldrums. If it includes the bi-ennial renewal of PPL in an LAA a/c I'll be going for it in 2019, if I live till then !

mike hallam Member since around 1971

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 am

I don't think it's in the doldrums Mike, but very under utilized. The scheme does include bi-ennials.
I'm hoping to spark a bit of a debate on here, so that we can bring it to the fore.

fixedwingtofly

Post by fixedwingtofly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 am

I have a CAA aircraft Robin DR400 - Can you do the Diploma through the LAA scheme in a CAA aircraft?
Martin Lonsdale

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 am

That's an interesting question, Martin. My first reaction was that of course it would be possible but looking at the application form I see that you are required to tick a box confirming that the aeroplane is on an LAA permit, so perhaps not.

dmcnicholl

Post by dmcnicholl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 am

Alan Kilbride wrote:At the AGM it was stated that over 75% of the membership thought the PCS was a good idea, yet only 8% have used it.
Why?
Just a guess, but it's easy for people to opine, if asked, that some thing is a good idea whilst having no thought of making use of the thing.

Frankly, an 8% uptake seems to me not bad at all for an entirely discretionary facility.
Donald McNicholl

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Maybe it is because of the reduction in the number of coaches.... :?

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Alan Kilbride wrote:Please give your thoughts on why it isn't used to it's full potential and how it could be used to greater effect.
Hi Alan , I was really hoping to make it to AGM-2017 , but was thwarted by family matters. Last years AGM was for the most part , a very interesting day , and I was keen to attend this year as well.
This subject was the topic of a pretty vibrant debate on here about 18 months ago , initiated by Steve Arnold and unfortunately , I don't feel that very much has changed.
I haven't really followed the fortunes of the PCS since the last time it was aired , but it would be a bit of a shame if the whole thing has lain dormant and unchanged since then.
I'm also somewhat reluctant to fan the flames of what was discussed then , but if the PCS has indeed remained without change , then it could answer Alan's question.

Edit : Just seen that Alan did partake in the previous debate on this . Let's hope it's not a case of PCS-RIP.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi Chris,
As a result of the debate on here 18 months ago, I became an EASA CRI and LAA Pilot Coach. I have now 60+ Hrs CRI of which about 12-15 have been as an LAA coach.
I posted on here because of the 75% approval and only 8% take up rate as mentioned at the AGM. I am sure it's not because of a shortage of coaches. Otherwise take up would be much higher. The wings scheme isn't about the "Badge". but about gaining skills and enjoying adventures only we as Pilots can achieve, yet doesn't seem to be over subscribed. The diploma scheme is all about improving flying skills and experience.
I don't think the PCS is in the doldrums at all, but under utilised. I was hoping to spark debate as to how we as members can make full use of it's potential.

Alan

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you for your interest in the Pilot Coaching Scheme. Statistics such as those presented at the AGM do not necessarily represent an accurate picture of utilisation, since not all of the LAA membership who responded fly, and some those who do may not need the services of the PCS.
Maybe it is because of the reduction in the number of coaches...
Regarding the number of coaches, we now have more coaches than at any point I can remember, with nearly 50 coaches spanning a fairly good distribution across the UK.

http://www.tinyurl.com/laacoach
Edit : Just seen that Alan did partake in the previous debate on this .
I am pleased to say that Alan expressed an interest in becoming a LAA coach. He attended a LAA Class Rating Instructor course, and was subsequently appointed as a LAA coach. You can find his details along with the other LAA coaches here:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... tails.html
I have a CAA aircraft Robin DR400 - Can you do the Diploma through the LAA scheme in a CAA aircraft?
Yes, we can. All LAA coaches hold a current EASA Class Rating Instructor certificate or Flight Instructor certificate. We can conduct training for members in both EASA and non-EASA aircraft.

Kind regards,

Jon
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Chris Martyr wrote: but it would be a bit of a shame if the whole thing has lain dormant and unchanged since then.
Alan , you yourself have blown that one completely out of the water , so very well done...! :D
Another thing that I find slightly odd , although it could just be a statistical anomaly , is the 75% approval figure. I would have thought that all members would have approved of such a scheme with very few exceptions.
The 8% take-up is also a bit of a disappointment I reckon , but could it be because many LAA'ers are fairly accomplished old lags anyway ?
Maybe the PCS' services could be advertised in other flying mags as a joining incentive , as I have a feeling that people whose GA inspirations lean more towards the 'bread & butter' fraternity may see PtF types as difficult and the ownership/operation of such as something of a black art.