An open letter to the leadership of the LAA

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Donald Walker

Re: An open letter to the leadership of the LAA

Post by Donald Walker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm relying on carrots, Chris. If they worked for Cunnigham, they'll work for me. :)

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 am

Donald Walker wrote: If they worked for Cunnigham, they'll work for me. :)
Funny old coincidence that.
During WW2 , my Dad was ground crew in Cunningham's lot [Leading Aircraftsman] I have his old 604 Squadron shield hanging proudly in my hallway.
'Scuse the thread drift.

AlanB

Post by AlanB » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 am

To help with some of the questions on this thread can I point you to Project EVA which was a European study conducted by NATS and AOPA in to electronic conspicuity and their ability to provide additional information action to the pilot to help avoid collision.

At the end of the day these devices are a tool, like gps aids navigation, and in the uncontrolled airspace environment in which we operate that is all they can be. The are also a distraction as others have said and not a substitute for looking outside the aircraft.

There is further work going on in this area including using ads-b to provide ATC at a number of small GA airfields to provide Situatioal Awareness to the Controller, note not proving any kind of radar service or otherwise.

This subject is a continuing topic and further research is ongoing as to its effectiveness for GA.

One point to note, what ever you favour for seeing what is out there from PAW all the way up to expensive TCAS they ALL can see ADS-B. So what ever you fit for out if you ensure it’s is either an ADS-B out enabled device like a Trabsponder or one of the low powered devices like the uAVINOX device then others can see you.

PS I have been part of the many trials with NATS and AOPA for the past 2-3 years so have some interest in the subject.

Hope that helps.
Alan Burrill