LAA Magazine

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ken Fern

LAA Magazine

Post by Ken Fern » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 pm

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes.
the latest LAA mag has arrived and it struck me that with all the talk in the media about plastics that perhaps it would be better if it came in a paper envelope. No doubt it will be pointed out that its cheaper in plastic, but in with the mag is a sheet of paper with the address on so printing the address on the envelope would save a sheet of paper there towards to envelope costs.
I don't know what the current membership is but for example if it was say 10,000 then we would be saving 120,000 plastic bags a year form landfill. perhaps we should think about it and lead by example.
I am not a 'Greenie' by the way but hate waste and the paper envelopes could then be recycled.
What about it?

AlanR

Re: LAA Magazine

Post by AlanR » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 am

Good idea Ken, I am all for cutting waste and reducing the plastic bag mountain!
However on quite a few days this winter my post has dropped through the letterbox in quite a wet condition and with it being a somewhat weighty item my only fear would be that it wouldn't arrive dry and intact in a large paper envelope.
Alan Radford

tony bishop

Post by tony bishop » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 am

In my area (Cambridge) this plastic film is recycled. Or it was - no idea what’ll happen now that the Chinese have refused to do our recycling for us!

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I have a rather leaky post box, so the plastic bag has it's advantages.
However, talking of waste. I have calculated that taking tablets supplied by the NHS that are packaged in a plastic bubble strip and sealed with a sheet of aluminium, I personally am sending one cubic inch of aluminium to recycle per year. My wife takes three times the pills I take, so a total of four cubic inches out of one house. Not to mention the even greater volume of the plastic.
Multiply that by one small town and there would be enough to build me a new engine!