Aircraft Transportation

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Eoindeelectrician

Aircraft Transportation

Post by Eoindeelectrician » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi All

Im looking for help/ advice on moving an aircraft by road from Lerwick in the Shetland Islands to either Sumburgh or Tingwall Airport. We recently bought a europa classic and have found out this week that we have until the end of this month to get the aircraft out of the garage it is being stored as the lease is not being renewed.

Once we get the aircraft to an Airport we have Ferryair lined up to fly it home (who by the way have been exceptional so far to deal with if anyone is looking for a ferry pilot).

Our problem is literally moving it the few kilometers to a suitable airport, does anyone have contact details in the shetlands of anyone that could help, any companies that may be willing to do it or know of any van and trailer hire suitable to do the job?

We are under a bit of pressure to get the job done in the timeframe available, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Eoin
Eoin Maguire

mike newall

Re: Aircraft Transportation

Post by mike newall » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Farmer

Tractor

16' Ifor Williams trailer

I would imagine most pubs have them :mrgreen:

Sorted !

John Price

Post by John Price » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Try the Europa club,

They used to have a rescue service which loaned out trailers to move broken aircraft home.

John

http://www.theeuropaclub.org

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 pm

It would be cheaper to get something from Norway than to get a Europa club trailer to Shetland !!
Indeed, a farmer or someone with a low loader will help you out. I take it that you are not a native of Shetland and you have bought "remotely". The vendor ought to put you in touch with a friendly helper to see you through.

Bill.

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Eion,

I have an ex RAF friend living in Unst who's willing to help but knows nothing about Eruopas. His car has a tow hitch and he thinks he can borrow a trailor. If you could let me have your tel no or e-address (send to [email protected]) I'll ask him to call/email you.

He doesn't take incoming calls because of the volume of nuisance calls he's suffered.

Best wishes,

Harry