Licensing. Some Good News from the CAA.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

SteveSlater

Licensing. Some Good News from the CAA.

Post by SteveSlater » Wed May 30, 2018 5:31 pm

The CAA has issued an exemption which will allow, until 7th April 2019, a pilot to fly a UK registered aeroplane or helicopter with an EASA Certificate of Airworthiness or EASA Permit to Fly (with the privileges of a LAPL) on their UK PPL or NPPL.

This particularly allows pilots with a UK national license and a self-declared medical, to continue to fly EASA certificated aircraft as well as Annex 2 Permit to Fly types.

NB: This applies to NPPL holders whose licence and/or ratings were issued by the CAA before the 8th April 2018. This exemption also does not alter the cut-off date for NPPL to LAPL conversions, as that is enshrined in EASA rather than CAA rule making.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1269.pdf

Cookie

Re: Licensing. Some Good News from the CAA.

Post by Cookie » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 am

This applies to NPPL holders whose licence and/or ratings were issued by the CAA before the 8th April 2018.
The latest exemption does not appear to have this restriction; in paragraph 3 of the document it states that the exemption applies to any person holding an appropriate licence.

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Pete

Re: Licensing. Some Good News from the CAA.

Post by Pete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 am

Hi Steve I read your article about the "good news",
I have not flown for a while, and have not been reading the mag each month, so the Easa changes left me behind.

I am now in the middle of getting my KR2 permit sorted, and looked to get my PPL(A) and NPPL(A) reval'd - that's when I met flying school hell.

The CFI at the chosen school told me I cannot reval in his C150 because I need a EASA licence and I need a Med Cert ( I cannot get one), now I thought that during revalidation I am flying as PU/T so even if his assertion was true, he can still reval me. The charming CFI then got the hump when I pointed out the CAA 1260 exemption ( he actually walked away from me shouting at me over his shoulder). Needless to say I am going to reval at another school who seem to know the rules.

Which brings me on to the main point of my post.

I decided that while I am at it, and for a bit of future proofing, I will convert to an EASA licence, At this point I reached a Catch 22.

The CAA 1260 doc mentions that I can convert to an EASA licence with a Med Declaration, however The CAA application form asks for a Med Cert, and informs that a license will not be granted without a valid medical.

So any idea what I do next.

Peter Diffey
Peter Diffey