Aircraft trailers

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Andy Kennedy

Aircraft trailers

Post by Andy Kennedy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:49 pm

Where might I get a trailer to transport a light aircraft?

I've seen the odd Kitfox & Europa trailered about where do these trailers originate?

I had considered buying some mild steel square tubing and having a crack at learning to mig weld and then spray the end result up with galvafroid paint.

Also been scouring eBay for donor trailers that could be modified.

So what have folk here done?

Andy

BobD

Re: Aircraft trailers

Post by BobD » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Andy, I found a suitable Trailer for my Europa on Afors, although they seem few and far between. I guess a lot will depend on the aircraft you wish to transport, and how often you plan to do it. Mine is an open Trailer, with the addition of a framework for carrying the wings and tailplane. It suits my needs, as I used it to transfer my aircraft from home to airfield, and then again from airfield to upholsterer and back, and I have (hopefully) very few requirements to bring my aircraft back home again in the future. If you plan to transport your aircraft on it frequently, then it would probably be unsuitable.
The Trailer was specifically built for small aircraft transportation by the builder, three owners ago. I was a bit concerned about the framework for the wings, but it worked fine (though I wouldn't want to do it too often). The other advantage for me is that both the framework, and the Trailer are easy to dis-assemble, and store in my garage and outhouse at home. After I bought it, I stored it at home for two years before I re-built, and used it. I have attached a couple of photos. I also have the original plans for the Trailer, and more photos, so email me at rjd(at)bobdawson.plus.com if you would like them.

https://flic.kr/p/27L3BG3
https://flic.kr/p/27L3Py9
Bob Dawson

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer, I was hoping to perhaps get something sorted for regular operations that would take both wing and fuselage. As you say, your rig was for irregular use.
Ideally the aircraft would be fully within the trailer footprint too to avoid overhang issues.

Does anyone here tow their aircraft regularly?

Andy

John Price

Post by John Price » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm

What type of aircraft Andy?

John.

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

John Price wrote:What type of aircraft Andy?

John.
Sent you a PM. Not sure if it's sent though.

Andy

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 am

https://shirenewton.wordpress.com/special-projects/

This lot will probably build you a trailer but it won't be cheap, Good quality though.
Basil Fairston

ah1

Post by ah1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 pm

I have a Shirenewton trailer which my Eurofox lives in and it is a very well built and designed trailer, though cheap it isn't. Problem as far as I understand now is that you can't just scratch build your own trailer for road going as they now have to have VOSA paperwork.
Adrian Hegner

John Price

Post by John Price » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi Andy,

Got it and have replied.

John.