PPL with a LAPL Medical?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Lowry

PPL with a LAPL Medical?

Post by Paul Lowry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi everyone,
Having searched high and low here and on other well known forums I can't find the answer to this question - can anyone here provide definitive advice, please? (Can't find it on the CAA or EASA sites either).
In a few weeks time I need to revalidate my medical, currently having a Class II with my EASA PPL. BTW we now live in Spain so UK only rules are not useful.

It would make life easier to switch to the LAPL Medical, mainly as its validity is 2 years rather than 1 for the Class II.

Can I exercise LAPL privileges with a LAPL Medical but sticking with my PPL rather than exchanging it for a new LAPL Licence? In truth the extra privileges of the PPL are unlikely to ever be of future benefit but changing it is another job I would rather avoid. When it's finally complete I will be flying an amateur built VLA in Europe (Yes, that includes the UK despite the Brexit nonsense!)

I read this was proposed a couple of years ago, but don't seem to be able to find if it was ever ratified - thanks in advance.

Sirlandalot.

Alan Kilbride

Re: PPL with a LAPL Medical?

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Still can't fly on an EASA PPL using a LAPL medical. Rumour has it that sometime in Q2 of this year it will happen. June already, so don't hold your breath.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... h2017).pdf

2017 Document which doesn't show Medical self declaration valid to next April, but shows what you need to know.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Paul,

How is life in Spain?
Like you I am waiting for the same thing to happen. As the above poster says it was supposed to happen in Q2 of 2018 but the EASA site still shows it as 'pending' from 05/17.
See:-
https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/opinions

What I refer to is embedded in :-
Amendments to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011
Opinion 05/2017Pending

Best Regards,

Alan.
Alan Radford

Paul Lowry

Post by Paul Lowry » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks to both Alans for confirming what I assumed still to be the case - I guess we can only keep waiting unless anyone knows of a way to lobby about such things?

Alan R - Life in Spain is good, we have a new home and I have secured a hangar at Totana airfield. Not so good is the long wait for my new aeroplane as the dealer screwed up the paperwork he sent to AESA so an already slow system has ground to a halt. Anyone ever criticising the CAA or more importantly the LAA should note how well the UK is serviced for GA/Pilots and builders but then I knew that to be the case before we moved so there are no surprises.
Hopefully one day soon I will be airborne in my new plane and able to enjoy this wonderful new landscape.

Paul.