Gaining my tailwheel conversion in a friends aircraft.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

storkeye

Gaining my tailwheel conversion in a friends aircraft.

Post by storkeye » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

I’m building an RV-7 at the moment and a friend of mine has said that he may put me on his insurance and let me gain my tailwheel rating on his RV-7 and then fly it regularly afterwards. That would be great as it would really motivate me during my build. However, he doesn’t have his instructor rating so can’t sign off my tailwheel rating.

I have an experienced instructor friend available who is great and willing to help me gain my tailwheel rating.

What do we need to do to achieve this? My friend doesn’t want me to become an owner of his RV. I would however pay fuel and engine fund for hours I fly of course.

What’s the best way to do this? Do i need to buy, say, a 5% share in his plane? Can I do that without being an owner? Can it be done without buying a share?

Thank you,
Abe
Abe Almosawi

storkeye

Re: Gaining my tailwheel conversion in a friends aircraft.

Post by storkeye » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

PS, I have held an EASA PPL for 15 years and I normally hire PA28 club aircraft from the flying club.
Abe Almosawi

Richard Warriner

Re: Gaining my tailwheel conversion in a friends aircraft.

Post by Richard Warriner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 am

Hi Storkeye,

I suspect this is quite straight forward, as the CAA have recently changed the rules* on commercial operation and self-fly hire for Permit Aircraft. Whether paying your friend for fuel and engine fund actually counts as commercial is debatable anyway.

The vital bit is that your friendly instructor and your good self are both on your friend’s aircraft insurance.

The part ownership or group membership only applies to instruction for the issue of the initial licence. Upgrades like a tail-wheel sign off do not require part ownership.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

* As indicated by:
CAA Document ORS4 No. 1271
Use of National Permit to Fly Aircraft for Flight Instruction and Self-Fly Hire