Crowd Funding to save Wellesbourne Airfield on Facebook.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

P5151

Crowd Funding to save Wellesbourne Airfield on Facebook.

Post by P5151 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 am

There has been a crowd funding appeal set up which is posted on Facebook and Twitter to help the tennants at Wellesbourne Airfield appeal a decision by the court not to orde r the owners to renew their leases. As you probably know the airfield has the support of Stratford District Council who prevented the owners bulldozing the site and who are considering a compulsory purchase order to keep the airfield as an airfield.

If we loose this one given the councils support there is no hope for any airfield in the country, so please go to the Crowd Funding site and contribute to the fight.

I will try to post a link but am no computer guru, any advice on how. To do this would be appreciated.

http://Www.crowdfunder.co.uk. Save Wellesbourne Airfield.

Think about it, if every member pledged £5 that would raise over 1/3 of what is attempted to be raised, If we averaged £20 per member that would more than cover the amount needed. What a great PR thing for the LAA membership, something we could be proud of.
Steve Arnold

P5151

Re: Crowd Funding to save Wellesbourne Airfield on Facebook.

Post by P5151 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Latest update.

Stratford Council have been true to their word and have commenced compulsory purchase proceedings. They are at the first stage and in discussion with the airfield owners. I doubt we will hear much until an agreement is reached or discussions break down, which is when the compulsory purchase kicks in.

This may take two to three years to resolve, but as things stand the moment the owners can ask the Tennant’s to leave on 15th October. The only thing that may delay this is if the owners agree to the
Councils request to give temporary leases while talks on CPO are carried out, which is is unlikely.

The other thing which may stop eviction is the launching of an appeal, I believe then the airfield will come under court protection then. We should know on 14/07/18 whether an appeal on the courts decision is happening.

To date the crowdfunding appeal has raised pledges of almost 20k. Seven Tennant’s are fighting this, flying schools, heliair, the cafe and one aircraft group which is run as a limited company. I believe the costs of the initial court case run to 500k which the Tennant’s have to find between them, that’s about 70k each.

I think you can see why the appeal has been put out, this has put all of them under financial strain, severe in some cases.

So I again ask members to go to http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk. Save Wellesbourne Airfield.

To be perfectly open about my position, I am in a group at Wellesbourne that owns a hangar with 3 LAA types in it. I can move my aeroplane to Coventry quite easily, the costs are roughly the same depending on how many landings I do. However, Coventry is no Wellesbourne which won airfield of the year recently, it has several active LAA groups and its loss would be a blow to the whole GA community.
Steve Arnold

P5151

Re: Crowd Funding to save Wellesbourne Airfield on Facebook.

Post by P5151 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 am

The appeal process has started, and Stratford Council are negotiating with the airfield owners about buying the airfield. If the negotiations collapse then CPO starts.

The crowdfunding appeal still needs to raise cash so whether you are a spotter, enthusiast, builder or pilot please donate, even £5 helps.

Www.crowdfunder.co.uk. Save Wellesbourne Airfield.
Steve Arnold