I want an RV7a

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

neilmurg

I want an RV7a

Post by neilmurg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Is this the right place to post this?
I would like an RV7a, and it seems like the best place to find one would be in the US. I have a share of a Fuji right now, and I'm a novice at buying / shipping / re-registering. So I'm looking for advice, and advice on where to get advice.
At the moment I'm wondering
What does shipping from (say) Miami or Texas cost
Who can I ask to evaluate an a/c
Will I need to re-register as a G- or can I fly it as an N with a 61.75 US license (which I don't yet have) - does that preserve it's aerobatic and IR status?
Can I piggy back a US IR on a 61.75 US PPL
Regards
Neil Murgatroyd

mike newall

Re: I want an RV7a

Post by mike newall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am

There are a selection of 7's on AFORS.

Don't be shy of a taildragger, much more practical and an easy conversion - no vices whatsoever.

johnmichie

Post by johnmichie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Neil

The place to post all things RV is the RV Sqdn Forum. Go to www.rvuk.co.uk, another excellent site, and click on the "rv sqdn forum" tab in the top row. This tells you how to join.

I know several people who have imported, some quickly and easily, some it took up to a year and was difficult because of the different build regime (EAA versus LAA) in the US. If not built to plans, or with mods, it will have to be corrected to conform with LAA Permit conditions. You do have to be very wary.

Once here the plane will have to go on the UK register, and be individually flight tested and cleared for aeros. IFR (and night) approval is possible but is much more complex.

A note to the Forum will get replies from people who have done it, and answer many of your questions.

John

P5151

Post by P5151 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Be very careful about buying from the states lots of people have been caught out and imported an unairworhy pile of scrap. There are some great ones over there, but some horror stories too.

I would not trust an A and E to check one out as people have and still imported scrap metal. The only people I would trust to do a pre buy inspection are people like Vic Syracuse. You can get good advice on who to trust on VAF. Alternatively you could get a British inspector to do a prebuy inspection, you will need one anyway to get it onto the LAA system. Preferably an inspector who has built one or two RVs.

As people have said do not discount Tailwheels, it’s a skill worth having.
Steve Arnold

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Neil,

There are more RVs available on the US market, but there are also more potential buyers seeking them. So you need to act fast if you find the right one, which may mean lining up candidates in a particular geographic area and making your choice from that. Be prepared to walk away if you have reservations.

You can add an IR to part 61.75 licence based on your foreign ICAO licence, but you can't operate an N reg'd 'experimental' in the UK other than for a short visit. It will need to be re-registered and approved in the UK.

Vic Syracuse is the RV East Coast rep and multiple RV builder and DAR. He's not cheap, but would be a good choice for a pre-buy inspection in the SE states (GA, AL, FL). That area seems to have a good concentration of RVs. If you're looking at the West Coast (especially California), I could offer some suggestions.

Shipping would probably cost $5-6K, but flying back is a good alternative in the summer months and can be done safely with standard fuel in an RV.
Mark Albery

Peter Gorman

Post by Peter Gorman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm

It is not a 7 but how about a 6? Already in the LAA system. You will learn to appreciate the advantages of a more nimble 6, and its tailwheel too :D
My RV-6 is for sale! See Planecheck and Afors etc, or email me at p1 [at] rv6.net.
Peter