Thatcher CX4?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ed langley

Thatcher CX4?

Post by ed langley » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:37 pm

As many of you know there was a small article in the July edition of the LAA journal on the Thatcher CX4.
Looking on the Thatcher website it states that there are a small number under construction in the UK,although only one is registered on G-info. Can anyone tell me what the current position is with the CX4,can it be bought in the UK as a complete kit or is it a plans build, basically how would you go about building one? I am looking for a retirement project and would like to build a low wing tail dragger similar to an RV but on a smaller budget.
Regards to all, Ed.

Ian Melville

Re: Thatcher CX4?

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 am

There should be two on G-INFO. One is mine G-CXIV

The CX4 is plans built. There has been some attempts to make full or partial kits in the US, but they don't seem to stay in business for long.

GRP parts have been consistantly available for a while http://www.cx4community.com/emartin.htm

Greg Westbury sold his interest to a Ben Carlson who was in business up to April this year. Website is now off-line. Not sure if this is a tempoary issue www.thatcheraircraft.com. He only did partial kits.

Note that these kits are not approved by the LAA and will need to be checked that they conform to the plan.

My project never made it very far due to unrelated issues. I have now put it on hold as the LAA don't seem to have a clear direction as to the modifications required to meet their standards. Once G-CISH has it's full permit I will formally ask them. I won't restart until my current project is flying.

There is another in the UK, that I have heard on the grapevine, that is close to completion, and one builder in a similar position to me.

Cheers
Ian
Yes my website does need updating :oops:
Ian Melville

ed langley

Re: Thatcher CX4?

Post by ed langley » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi,Ian
Thanks for the information.Hopefully the LAA will come to a decision on what is required now that there is an example flying.
Regards, Ed