ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bilko2

Re: ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Post by Bilko2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Since many non aviators may be reading this I would like to add something about the solo thing:

Having another (perhaps more experienced) pilot in the aircraft, even if he/she is just there for the ride makes a big difference. Being able to ask "do you think we should ....." or even listening for silent acquiescence makes things much easier. Flying involves many judgments, some life or death, having to make those judgments yourself and by yourself is what solo means. Flying in many parts of Africa emphasises this, there is rarely any radar coverage and often no one to talk to on the radio.
William Hall

T Wilcock

Post by T Wilcock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm

L21-B wrote:
Tracey Curtis-Taylor wrote:It is important to note that Brian Davies has stepped down as Chairman of the LAA.
Tracy, were did you obtain that information. I have not seen it announced, so is it appropriate to place it on a public forum before official announcements have been made ?
I see you have not read page 1 of the October Light Aviation!
Trevor Wilcock

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Steve Arnold asks
I ask again can someone provide details of the evidence which shows she does not deserve this award?
TCT in her own words wrote
"I had a support aircraft (Cessna Caravan) and for the most part a fantastic team which included the chase pilot, a logistics manager, an engineer, and a four-man film crew. In terms of my own personal preparation, in truth I did very little."

I think that answers that one although even then she omits to the significance of Edwald being with her in the Stearman in the vast majority of flights
Phil Laycock

P5151

Post by P5151 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Bilko2 wrote:Since many non aviators may be reading this I would like to add something about the solo thing:

Having another (perhaps more experienced) pilot in the aircraft, even if he/she is just there for the ride makes a big difference. Being able to ask "do you think we should ....." or even listening for silent acquiescence makes things much easier. Flying involves many judgments, some life or death, having to make those judgments yourself and by yourself is what solo means. Flying in many parts of Africa emphasises this, there is rarely any radar coverage and often no one to talk to on the radio.
And of course the opposite of this is true, if you are giving a non pilot a flight and perhaps give then time on the controls, you are increasing your workload and risk. Also what more experienced is is not easily defined because it involves experience on the aircraft being flown. Someone might have thousands of hours in a 737 but not be cleared to fly taildraggers.

While a second set of eyes in the cockpit is always helpful, it is not always the case that a passenger necessarily makes it easier for the Pilot in command. I have had experienced pilots do some really unexpected things like turn me inverted in a non aerobatic type only to shout I have lost it and then left it to me to get us back to earth safely!
Steve Arnold

P5151

Post by P5151 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

cirrusvfr wrote:Steve Arnold asks
I ask again can someone provide details of the evidence which shows she does not deserve this award?
TCT in her own words wrote
"I had a support aircraft (Cessna Caravan) and for the most part a fantastic team which included the chase pilot, a logistics manager, an engineer, and a four-man film crew. In terms of my own personal preparation, in truth I did very little."

I think that answers that one although even then she omits to the significance of Edwald being with her in the Stearman in the vast majority of flights

Phil

Thanks for this. Again I am being driven to believe this should have been a team award.
Last edited by P5151 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Arnold

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:41 pm

It is important to note that Brian Davies has stepped down as Chairman of the LAA.
You can't beat a bit of innuendo can you.
It's certainly not my place to say why Brian has decided not to stand for the Board again, but rest assured Ms Taylor, it certainly has nothing to do with you.
As has been suggested, read Brian's last report (P5) in the latest magazine and you will see some of the progress that has happened under his watch. I would add handling the 2016 AGM with the utmost fairness and integrity to that list.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks for that Brian. I personally think the board are doing an excellent job running the LAA on our behalf.
This debacle is not of their doing and if only it would go away. I believe dark forces are at work here and would like a bit more openness from all sides. I do understand the need for confidentiality, but it would be good to know how many new members we accepted in the month of October.
Whatever the outcome, I truly hope the bitterness will end.

Alan

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:24 pm

When can we expect this month’s copy of the magazine?

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Mine arrived a week ago. Want me to drop it round? :D
--
Dave White

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

P5151 wrote:
Bilko2 wrote:Since many non aviators may be reading this I would like to add something about the solo thing:

And of course the opposite of this is true, if you are giving a non pilot a flight and perhaps give then time on the controls, you are increasing your workload and risk. Also what more experienced is is not easily defined because it involves experience on the aircraft being flown. Someone might have thousands of hours in a 737 but not be cleared to fly taildraggers.

While a second set of eyes in the cockpit is always helpful, it is not always the case that a passenger necessarily makes it easier for the Pilot in command. I have had experienced pilots do some really unexpected things like turn me inverted in a non aerobatic type only to shout I have lost it and then left it to me to get us back to earth safely!
I'm sorry but this means nothing.
Solo means solo. It doesn't matter whether the other person in the aircraft is a highly qualified instructor with a full set of dual controls in front of him, or a paraplegic dribbling vegetable in a straight jacket strapped to a stretcher on the floor. You are not SOLO and your flying actions, decision making, behaviour, sense of responsibility will be MODIFIED by their presence.
Apart from that, this award was not given for a solo effort but a "feat of navigation". Having a back up aircraft, a qualified instructor on board, various GPS devices on board, does not amount to a "feat".
And no amount of foot stamping spitting dummies and teddy out the pram throwing is going to change my mind. My vote has already added four thou" to the against pile anyway.

P5151

Post by P5151 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Trevor Harvey wrote:
P5151 wrote:

I'm sorry but this means nothing.
Solo means solo. It doesn't matter whether the other person in the aircraft is a highly qualified instructor with a full set of dual controls in front of him, or a paraplegic dribbling vegetable in a straight jacket strapped to a stretcher on the floor. You are not SOLO and your flying actions, decision making, behaviour, sense of responsibility will be MODIFIED by their presence.
Apart from that, this award was not given for a solo effort but a "feat of navigation". Having a back up aircraft, a qualified instructor on board, various GPS devices on board, does not amount to a "feat".
And no amount of foot stamping spitting dummies and teddy out the pram throwing is going to change my mind. My vote has already added four thou" to the against pile anyway.

Well that’s the best bit of arguing against yourself I have heard for a long time. I think you will find that who the passenger is and what their abilities are affect the mindset in very different ways, either increasing stress and workload, or perhaps providing a sense of back up.

It is your type of foot stamping and teddy throwing that gives TCT some credence when she says she was stitched up and not allowed due process. Thank goodness some of us are willing to listen to the defence before deciding guilt.
Steve Arnold

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 pm

T Wilcock wrote:
L21-B wrote:
Tracey Curtis-Taylor wrote:It is important to note that Brian Davies has stepped down as Chairman of the LAA.
Tracy, were did you obtain that information. I have not seen it announced, so is it appropriate to place it on a public forum before official announcements have been made ?
I see you have not read page 1 of the October Light Aviation!
Thank you T Wilcock for the clarification, in fact I have not read the October edition as I have been out of the country when it was delivered.

@Tracey you can disregard my earlier question about the source of your information regarding Brian Davies stepping down.
Jeffrey Owen

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I give up!

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Trevor Harvey wrote:I give up!
If that comment is directed at me I can tell you that I have read all the relevant material statements and motions regarding the AGM online and voted accordingly, I just have not had the opportunity to read a magazine delivered by pigeon mail. :roll:
Jeffrey Owen

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm

L21-B
It was not directed at you, it was in response to P5151. Sorry.