ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

P5151

Re: ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Post by P5151 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

Tracey Curtis-Taylor wrote:Here are the reasons why I’m not answering insistent questions about my flights.
1. There is too much to say for a chat forum. They’re a chapter in the book when I finish it.
2. Anyone who can’t wait could contact me, although it does seem that the obsessive few don’t seek answers, but rather fuel for their indignation.
3. They are irrelevant to the 2018 motions, which in different ways seek to redress the irrelevance of the 2016 motion. Even if I were the self-promoting charlatan that some think I am, there was absolutely no evidence that this brought the LAA ‘into disrepute’. I did not solicit the 2014 Woodhams Award (relating to one flight only) and – though honoured to receive it – I did not promote myself on the back of either the award or of my membership of the LAA. Whatever they thought (if anything) of me, neither the general public nor the aviation world thought any differently about the LAA. The only people shouting about it were Sam Rutherford and his associates. The premise of the 2016 motion was nonsense and The LAA Board was unwise to blunder into a campaign of what was – dress it up as you may – personal vilification.
Disappointing response to say the least.
Steve Arnold

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Steve, last word from me here regarding logging P2 and CAP804.

CAP 804 is now no longer being updated, which is why it says 'For Reference Only' on it. And guess what? I was using it as a reference for you. 8)

However, it was authoritative when written, nothing in that area has changed in the last (many) years and CAP804 still reflects the EASA regulations in Part FCL - including those for logging time, which in turn reflects the legislation for when you can and cannot log P2.

The content of CAP804 I posted last night aligns with EASA Part FCL; it is accurate information and it is not guidance only - it is the law. Now, I am not linking to the individual paragraphs in Part FCL in this post because I am busy just at the moment, but the information is there to find - here's the general link. Start at FCL.050.

In 3(d) you apparently missed the critical bit about "subject to the prior agreement of the CAA".

Your or my opinion and interpretation is irrelevant; that is what the law says. Believe what I say or not, it makes no difference to what the legislation requires and there's a link above that can be used to satisfy yourself what that says.

Anyway, as pointed out this has nothing to do with Ms TC-T's evasions - it is a side-road to correct a fairly common misunderstanding about logging "P2". I'll leave it there; if you have a further comment, perhaps begin a separate thread?
Last edited by DaveWhite on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Dave White

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 pm

CAP 804 is for reference only.

AMC1 FCL.050 reads:
(2) co-pilot flight time: the holder of a pilot licence occupying a pilot seat as co-pilot may log all flight time as co-pilot flight time on an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft, or the regulations under which the flight is conducted;

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Tracey Curtis-Taylor wrote:Here are the reasons why I’m not answering insistent questions about my flights.
1. There is too much to say for a chat forum. They’re a chapter in the book when I finish it.
2. Anyone who can’t wait could contact me, although it does seem that the obsessive few don’t seek answers, but rather fuel for their indignation.
3. They are irrelevant to the 2018 motions, which in different ways seek to redress the irrelevance of the 2016 motion. Even if I were the self-promoting charlatan that some think I am, there was absolutely no evidence that this brought the LAA ‘into disrepute’. I did not solicit the 2014 Woodhams Award (relating to one flight only) and – though honoured to receive it – I did not promote myself on the back of either the award or of my membership of the LAA. Whatever they thought (if anything) of me, neither the general public nor the aviation world thought any differently about the LAA. The only people shouting about it were Sam Rutherford and his associates. The premise of the 2016 motion was nonsense and The LAA Board was unwise to blunder into a campaign of what was – dress it up as you may – personal vilification.
Tracy you are sounding like a stuck record.

The AGM is just around the corner I imagine the majority who cannot attend have cast their proxy vote, if a poll was available based around online comments your chances of having the award reinstated don't look promising, but you have only yourself to blame so stop with the continuous finger pointing.
Jeffrey Owen

samrutherford

Post by samrutherford » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 am

One question of my own?

We have statements supporting the two motions, and presumably people will speak in favour of the two motions.

There has been nothing sent to the members to put the 'against' side to either motion, but will there be an opportunity to speak against each one at the meeting. A 'rebuttal' as it were?

Peter Gorman

Post by Peter Gorman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am

The Woodham winners list Steve Slater posted above reminds me that myself and Essam Bishara were the immediately preceding winners before TCT, in 2012. We flew to Cape Town and back in my RV-6. Just to scotch any rumours, there was no-one else in the cockpit, just me and Essam! No support plane hiding out of sight of my camera!

This was a fun trip, I wouldn’t mind doing it again.

When local airport officials tried to extract imaginative fees, we always said "our people" would have to discuss it later with "their people". Our people of course did not exist.

We alternated being P1 on successive flights. Regarding the P1/P2 discussion above, I think that in practical terms there should be no lack of clarity as to who is the aircraft commander at any time, who takes final decisions especially when under pressure or when a crisis arises.

As to the AGM, it seems to me that the ongoing discussions as to the merits of TCT's original award are beside the point. The relevant question is whether the decision of the 2016 AGM was in some manner improperly made, procedurally or otherwise. Perhaps the 2018 AGM can end this tedious matter and the energies of the LAA can be put to more useful purposes.

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 am

I hope that such an opportunity exists Sam but hope rather more that it won’t be necessary. Proxy voting form sent; fingers crossed. Even if I had some sympathy for Tracy (not that I do) I’m afraid I object far more to how the AGM has been commandeered by her hubris-driven roadshow. It is far from my ideals of the promotion of affordable and enjoyable sport aviation.

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:49 pm

For the avoidance of future doubt as to what was said, agreed or voted for at the AGM, is it permissible to have the whole meeting video recorded ?
Jeffrey Owen

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Well yet more BS - with her post inviting people to contact her directly I sent a PM, three days now and no reply, why does she bother!?

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Has she read it?

(You'll know if she has - it will have moved from your 'Outbox' to your 'Sent Messages' folder)
--
Dave White

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Ian Hoolahan wrote: her post inviting people to contact her directly
She should've been inviting LAA members to do that 3yrs ago !

Not , days before the AGM .

Ian Hoolahan

Post by Ian Hoolahan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

djmwhite wrote:Has she read it?

(You'll know if she has - it will have moved from your 'Outbox' to your 'Sent Messages' folder)
I did not realise that - just checked it and no, it would appear that she has not read it - so why invite people to contact you directly and then not bother to check your PMs, it is not as though she gave her email address or phone no!

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

Maybe this snippet of video copied from Pprune should be played at the AGM for all to see and hear.

http://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/ ... tis-taylor

Clearly she states in preparation for "My Solo Flight across Africa" two times, that video was filmed somewhere during the AN2 flight by a Russian crew to Cape Town.

So even before the actual flight in Ewalds stearman she was announcing to the media it was going to be my "Solo" flight across Africa, no slip of the tongue, no media misunderstanding or website designer making a mistake or misprint.

Tracey over to you for an explanation.
Jeffrey Owen

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 am

Thank you Jeffrey.

I just logged in to post the very same thing but you beat me to it.

So we now have two videos in which Miss Curtis-Taylor refers, twice in each, to her flight as “solo”.

Let’s stop messing around here. The media didn’t ‘misunderstand’ or draw their own conclusions. Her website designer didn’t “gild the lily”. This is exactly what it appears to be and the membership need to know.

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am

Due to an unprecedented interest, we have moved to a larger venue at Sywell for the LAA AGM. It will now take place on Sunday 21st October 2018 at Sywell Aerodrome in Hangar 2 which can be accessed via the Club Room (off the Bar Lounge).

You will need to pre-register before attending the AGM. You can do this on the day in the Club Room. Staff will be on hand as from 1000 to check your membership and issue voting cards and wristbands. Please ensure you bring your membership card with you.

In answer to a recently asked question: If you have made a postal vote but wish to attend and vote in person, we will make arrangements for you to cancel your postal vote when you sign in.

If you wish to have lunch on-site, Sywell will provide baguettes which can be pre-ordered upon arrival and ready for collection at 1230.

Programme for the Day:

1030 Tea/coffee
1045 Welcome from Brian Davies, LAA Chairman
1100 Presentation of LAA Service Awards
1130 Illustrated talk by Phil Dunnington on his long-distance flights in his Beechcraft 18, carrying a hot-air balloon, flying in locations where no-one has ever flown a balloon before.
1230 Lunch Break and Members’ ‘Show and Tell’ (with a special RAF 100 line-up including we hope, a Spitfire!)
1330 Presentation of LAA Rally Awards
1400 Annual General Meeting
1430 Members’ Forum. An opportunity for members to discuss issues and ideas with the Board.
1530 Thanks and closure of the meeting.

We hope to see you there!