ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Planemike

Re: ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Post by Planemike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:34 am

Paul Catanach wrote:<sigh>
Indeed, Paul..............<sigh> !!1 Everyone is wrong except T C-T.
Michael Blake

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 am

I am trying to find an alternative definition of Credibility.

neilmurg

Post by neilmurg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 am

Tracey Curtis-Taylor wrote:Might is right, of course.
Why would you say that?
It's perfectly possible to disagree without insisting that everyone else is wrong.
The LAA voted, several times, and are clearly happy with their decision. What could you possibly hope to gain by carrying on? I'm astounded that you thought that publishing attack pieces in national newspapers would further your cause. It was a suicidal strategy, which calls into question your rationality and sensibility. You may be able to play the victim card in the media, but it hasn't played well in the LAA.
You advertised the Capetown - Goodwood trip as solo. It wasn't.
IF you'd been more honest, you could have been honoured for your achievements, instead of the fallacious claims.You're now more like the 'Richard Evelyn Byrd Jr/Frederick A. Cook/Robert E. Peary' of aviation.
It would be great if you could move on, or, even better, find a way to support the LAA for all the good things it does for GA, rather that attack it.

It's a rather sad day. Rather than applauding guys/gals that build their own aircraft and complete crazy journeys,as we usually do, we're stuck in this endless loop where you, T C-T think you haven't received what you're entitled to. But you have.

Move on, we want to, you should too
Neil Murgatroyd

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 am

TC-T what planet are you on? You are totally dillusional your logic and I use that word loosely is totally flawed....the thing I find most distasteful about you is your attack on the the Board and the rank and file members of the our Association, using the poor hard done by female card to try to gain sympathy for your own ends! Grow up get real and if you persist on attacking I will be in the queue to table a motion to get you removed from the LAA.. You are denigrating our Association and its core values if you dislike us that much you know what to do....Resign!!
John Angiolini

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 am

From this mornings Times newspaper.
A woman pilot known as the Bird in a Biplane was brought down to earth with a bump yesterday after losing a battle to retain a trophy she won for an expedition over Africa. Tracey Curtis-Taylor, 56, told The Times that she was resigning from the Light Aircraft Association and would re-register her vintage aircraft overseas in protest.

The row has divided pilots as Ms Curtis-Taylor and her allies accused detractors of being “out-of-date misogynists” while critics denounced her for making false claims about her achievements.The argument began after Ms Curtis-Taylor paid tribute to the celebrated 1920s aviator Mary Heath in 2013 by flying from Cape Town in South Africa to Goodwood in West Sussex in a 1942 Boeing Stearman plane.The next year she was awarded the Light Aircraft Association’s Woodhams Trophy for her achievement. She was then stripped of the prize in 2016 after the expedition’s logistics manager, Sam Rutherford, accused her of claiming that it was a solo voyage when she was frequently accompanied in her two-seater plane by her mechanic, Ewald Gritsch.
She was said to have described her expedition as a “solo flight” at a public event in Herne Bay in Kent and failed to correct similar claims in the media, including a documentary shown on BBC Four. Ms Curtis-Taylor admitted that she had been wrong to describe her trip as a solo expedition but said that it was a one-off mistake and not the basis of the award.
Yesterday she and her allies put forward two motions at the association’s annual general meeting at Sywell Aerodrome in Northamptonshire, either of which would have returned the award to her.One proposed by Stewart Jackson, vice-president of the association, described the 2016 decision as “vindictive [and] irrational” and blamed the board for “errors of judgment”. It added: “Injustice was done. Let’s admit we made a bad mistake that made — and will continue to make us, if we don’t do the right thing — look like an out-of-date club of misogynists.” Voters in the association, which is 95 per cent male and has an average age of 61, were untroubled by the risk to their image. They voted against the motion by 389 to 82, with 87 per cent of votes being cast remotely. A second motion with more moderate wording was also voted down, by 277 to 202.Ms Curtis-Taylor said that she no longer wished to have anything to do with the association and would be registering her vintage Ryan Recruit plane in America. “It’s ignorance. It’s discrimination. This is how women have been closed out of aviation,” she said.“I’ve been a member for 14 years [but]they do not value what I’m doing. I am finished. This was two years of trying to right a wrong but the bigger struggle [to promote women in aviation] goes on.”Mr Rutherford, a former army officer who fell out with Ms Curtis-Taylor during the Africa expedition, said that he had warned her not to accept awards.“I contacted her twice. I said: ‘Keep going with whatever you’re doing but if you’re offered awards, please decline them.’ ” He admitted that he had engaged in an online campaign to encourage people to vote against her. “It’s fairly clear that both sides of the argument have been very active in trying to rally support,” he said.“I’m all for more women coming into aviation — my wife and my daughter fly. They don’t need some sort of false support for that. It reduces the real achievements out there.”
Ms Curtis-Taylor has decided to resign from the LAA and take her aircraft to another registry, good as it will be no loss what so ever to the LAA.

Ms Curtis-Taylor has no interest in the core values of the LAA only a self centred attitude driven by the desire to mix within higher echelons of society to promote her film and book. It was and is clear to see why she was trying to have the Woodhams award reinstated, for nothing other than her own personal gain by using the media to try and discredit the LAA and its members, well Ms Curtis-Taylor that approach backfired.

The FAA may accept your aircraft on their registry and there is a sizeable hangar space at a nice airport called Winslow, I am sure they will take you in with open arms.
Jeffrey Owen

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 am

Do I smell a whiff of Martyrdom?
The ball keeps rolling anyway for TC-T as she has some more of what she relishes......Publicity!!!

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am

'Martyr in a bi-plane'? :-)

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:01 am

L21-B wrote:From this mornings Times newspaper. Ms Curtis-Taylor has decided to resign from the LAA
Well,,,,I'm gutted !

Does this mean that we will no longer be entertained by her bitter , twisted , fanciful and inaccurate posts on this forum ?

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 am

My fingers are crossed that this is now at an end.
But I am not certain Ms Curtis Taylor has the grace to leave quietly. Whoever buys her book, let me know her reaction and claims about us.
I have no intention of putting a penny in her pocket.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 am

Donald Walker wrote:'Martyr in a bi-plane'? :-)
Hey Donald , that's a really catchy title !!.. :D :D

I'm going to have a ring-around this morning for some sponsors.

Now let me see,,,,,,,,

Saga.
Ponds Anti-Wrinkle Cream.
The makers of Steradent.
Co-op Funeral Services,,,,,,,,,

This really has great possibilities . Golly , I hope it catches the attention of the Awards guys . I think I deserve the Pooley Sword.

[ stands for Serial Waffler Of Ridiculous Dross in my case],,,,, :lol:

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am

Well its obvious that all this has been a ploy by TCT and her supporters to generate as much publicity as possible.....in which case it has done exactly that. Forthcoming film and book etc etc.
I'm glad of the result of the AGM motions and the Associations Members actions, the right thing has been confirmed, but this won't matter to her self promotion agenda as has already been demonstrated by her attack on the LAA and a flouncing off written in todays Times newspaper. Could that even have been drafted prior to the AGM one wonders ?

As an aside, her taking her Ryan away from LAA and re-registering abroad ??? according to the CAA it hasn't been in a valid Permit to fly for 4 years , so no loss to the coffers there .
Phil Laycock

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:41 am

cirrusvfr wrote: her self promotion agenda as has already been demonstrated by her attack on the LAA .
Maybe our Patron should step in with a quiet word !

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 am

Chris Martyr wrote:
cirrusvfr wrote: her self promotion agenda as has already been demonstrated by her attack on the LAA .
Maybe our Patron should step in with a quiet word !
Good idea; now that Ms Curtis-Taylor is resigning she could also hand over her LAA membership card at the same time, or maybe she was just flouncing to the media.
Jeffrey Owen

smiffy68

Post by smiffy68 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 am

I've pretty much stayed out of this, but, now I find I am having to explain to friends and family, that my hobby and the LAA is not a mysoginistic old boys club.

I'm not happy.

At what point do the press articles instigated by Ms Curtis-Taylor become an act of Libel?
Kevin Smith

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

cirrusvfr wrote:As an aside, her taking her Ryan away from LAA and re-registering abroad ??? according to the CAA it hasn't been in a valid Permit to fly for 4 years , so no loss to the coffers there .

I might be wrong but I believe that aircraft changed hands about four years ago, was found to need.....fettling, and has been in restoration ever since.