ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Re: ALL MEMBERS ! Please fill out those proxy forms..!!

Post by ChampChump » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:24 am

That mission to encourage females to fly, then, has now evolved into a simple shout, very loud, about misogyny in aviation. Any selfless part of the 'outreach' came across as 'Look at me, this is what I did' followed by 'Look at me, this is what I did but it's really hard because I'm a woman and I'm battling all the nasty men & women in the LAA and don't think about flying, just remember to buy my book'. Inspiring?

Meanwhile, thousands of men and women have been building, flying and promoting aviation by stealth, giving rather more thought to maintenance, navigation & enjoying the view than gender ishoos.
Nic Orchard

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:46 am

Does she actually own the Stearman or did she hire it? I though Ewald Gritsh was the owner I maybe wrong!

Another thing thats bothering me is the language used by Stewart Jackson in his motion (which has been removed from the AGM link) I found rather derogatory towards the members who voted to rescind the Trophy.. Are we not allowed to have an opinion has it become a dictatorship do we have to do as we are told! I seriously think not. I think Mr Jackson should apologise or consider his position.
I am not touchy, equally I am not happy about his wording.
John.
John Angiolini

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am

Just as a matter of interest, what is the gender split in membership of the LAA??
Michael Blake

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 am

Where has all the AGM stuff gone?
John Angiolini

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Planemike wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what is the gender split in membership of the LAA??

Someone, somewhere suggested 95/5 but I don't know how accurate their source might have been.

But this is an old topic, discussed in many places over the years. Many women (the weird ones, obviously) are just not interested in aviation. Wasn't it someone on here who made the comment about it being a waste of time trying to get men interested in crochet classes or similar? I have male friends who can barely hold a spanner, I have female friends who can't cook.

It's not sexist. If people aren't interested you just can't force them. We all know our association needs new blood and perhaps many of us should have rallied to the call for help to bring them in. I don't care what they are, if they're interested and want to fly then I welcome them.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Is it time to review the 'Meet the Members' on this site?
Nic Orchard

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Excellent suggestion Nic.

jollyrog

Post by jollyrog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I wasn’t impressed with her public speaking ability. I thought she wasted the floor time allocated to her, instead of using it to preach something positive and attempt to persuade some swing voters to her point of view, it was just an anti Association, anti male rant with some veiled and some not so veiled legal threats chucked in. There were a number of abstainers in the room, they could have been won over.

I was pleased to hear from Colin Hales, who made some striking points regarding the first motion.

Barry’s comments about Brexit weren’t helpful and likewise wasted the time devoted to the against position of the second motion.

When the recounting was taking place, the chap next to me suggested that Tracey do the counting. I reminded him that was a bad idea, as she seems to struggle with “one” or “two”.

It’s important to note that both motions were rejected by the votes in the room, in addition to the final figure when the proxy votes were included. Her previous arguments about lack of notice, not being able to speak and proxy votes deciding the issue do not apply.

I am dismayed that the committee seemed to be walking on eggshells with the whole thing. There’s more going on than we know about.
Roger Seaward

SteveSlater

Post by SteveSlater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi all,

You'll see below the official LAA statement regarding the votes at the 2018 AGM. While there have been some well expressed opinions on both sides of this argument, I think its time we now moved on. I've therefore asked that our moderator closes this thread.

Thanks for all your contributions - and for contributing to an orderly and respectful AGM.

Steve Slater.

STATEMENT REGARDING THE LAA AGM. 21st OCTOBER 2018.

At the 2018 AGM, two motions were voted on by members regarding the award of the Bill Woodhams Trophy in 2014 to Tracey Curtis-Taylor. This was subsequently rescinded following a member’s motion in 2016.

The Light Aircraft Association makes a number of such awards each year, recognising flying activities, services to fellow members and the quality of their work on either home-built aircraft or vintage types restored to flight by its 7,500-plus members. The recipients are selected by a small committee of unpaid volunteers. The Bill Woodhams Trophy for navigation is just one of this wide range of awards.
The two motions placed at the 2018 AGM sought to debate the rescinding of the award, and the matter was discussed at the AGM with both written and verbal submissions from both sides, including from Tracey Curtis-Taylor in person.

The first Motion, seeking acknowledgement that the rescinding of the award was inappropriate, was defeated by 389 member votes to 82.

The second Motion, seeking the reinstatement of the award, was defeated by 277 member votes to 202.

The removal of the award therefore stands and the matter is now considered closed. The LAA has no further comment to make on the award or its recipient.

ENDS