Plans for winter?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Catanach

Plans for winter?

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 am

I intend to keep busy on non-flying days by tweaking and primping my newly-Permitted (imported) Jodel.

Those little jobs that make the cockpit a nicer place to be such as adding some storage pockets either side, touching up paint trim, give the Perspex a bit of a buff for those low sun days.. Glue some glitter and sequins to the upholstery in a Liberace stylee. :wink:

No doubt someone will be working on their build or renovation with which to wow us all next year.

ChampChump

Re: Plans for winter?

Post by ChampChump » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am

There's some cosmetic work to be done (not on me, beyond redemption); timing depends on other factors.

In the summer, it's 'Oh, a winter job' and in winter it's 'Must grab the flyable days' and 'Too c-cold to work on this' so this year, some determination must be found.
Nic Orchard

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:47 am

For the last three winters I keep planning to replace my instrument panel and revamp the layout. I have all the parts and the new panel waiting to have the holes punched but just don't seem to find the time between work and all the other jobs the other half keeps finding for me, maybe this winter.
Jeffrey Owen

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:38 am

Paul Catanach wrote:I intend to keep busy on non-flying days by tweaking and primping my newly-Permitted (imported) Jodel.
Hey Paul . Have you ever thought of fitting those hubcaps which rotate in the opposite D.o.R. on to the Jodel ?
I've seen them in LA . The Hispanics love 'em !

And they're so you... :D

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:45 pm

On a low rider Jodel. 8)

RichardMaxted

Post by RichardMaxted » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 am

Great thread and welcome tonic. Engine baffles for me - old ones are very old. Also fitting original style window latch and I must do something about the tyres that have toe in - oh and also I need to look at that possible exhaust crack - and if there is time I really ought to replace the fuel hose.

Or I might do a bit of flying.... :D
Richard Maxted

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 am

Fly when I can and sit at the round table to put the world to rights in the clubhouse when I can't.
:lol:

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 am

RichardMaxted wrote:Engine baffles for me - old ones are very old.
I renewed the induction ducting and seals on my Jodel (similar job). They weren't old, the whole airframe only has 100 hours on it, but the originals didn't seal at all well. Gained 100rpm static thrust from that.

What I really could do with is a half decent workbench in the hangar, Trouble is the floor doesn't have much in the way of levelness so I'll have to build one to fit. Otherwise everything will roll or slide to one end.

Maybe some form of canopy over the aircraft to keep the drips from the leaky roof away too.

Seagull

Post by Seagull » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Replace the registration lettering (can't stand the current font) and keep on polishing 8)

Oh - and a bit of cockpit love if I can find the time. Need to put in some zip pockets and would love to re-arrange the instrument panel. I have a suitable blank and a box of round holes. But I need to spend some £££ on a couple of new instruments, and the prospect of re-wiring doesn't thrill me...
Ruth Kelly

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Seagull wrote:Replace the registration lettering (can't stand the current font)

<whisper>

When the job’s finished it’s perhaps best not to bother the CAA registration department with a new photograph for GINFO. Several years ago I bought an aircraft that had 3-D effect font (had been there 28 years). As there was no picture on GINFO I sent them one.

Cost me £400 to get the painted-on lettering chained and ironically the new white on silver lettering is less visible than it was before. :roll:

Seagull

Post by Seagull » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Paul Catanach wrote:<whisper>

When the job’s finished it’s perhaps best not to bother the CAA registration department with a new photograph for GINFO.
Thanks for the advice - and sorry I didn't reply sooner :oops: I haven't told a living soul...
Ruth Kelly

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

Seagull wrote:Replace the registration lettering (can't stand the current font) ..
I know what you mean there Ruth. I find it amazing how many aeroplanes which either have awful pre-cut lettering . Or even worse , pre-cut lettering which isn't 'quite' legal .

I also believe that many folk don't appreciate how easy it is to just draught out your own lettering on graph paper , as per the dimensions given in CAP-523 . When I did it , I seem to remember scaling it down to something like 2 x squares to an inch and then making a miniature sketch of my reg. [G-EVPI]

Once you are happy with what you've draughted-out on graph paper , then pencil it in , in full-size on your fuselage and mask around it with tape. Once happy , use a good quality, suitable paint and Bob's yer Uncle .
The letters with rounded contours look good if you square them off in the Roman style of lettering as shown in a drawing in CAP-523 . Indeed , if your reg. is 'straight-sided' lettering , then it is only the 'G' that you'll need to square off.
Looks great on a 'trad.' style aeroplane like a Jodel . I haven't seen Paul's yet , but I'm sure his lettering complies with his normal standards of professionalism and good taste. :lol:

Gerry Holland

Re: Plans for Winter?

Post by Gerry Holland » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 am

This is the gentle push you get from CAA if you dont comply. My Reg. was picked up on Web photo?
Regards
Gerry

We understand that the nationality and registration marks that are displayed on the above aircraft are not being displayed in accordance with Schedule 3, Part C of the Air Navigation Order 2009.
The registration marks are not to the correct size and the colour of the registration does not appear to ‘contrast markedly’ with the background colour of the aircraft.
Therefore, to avoid being in breach of the Air Navigation Order 2009, we would be grateful if you could arrange for the registration marks to be corrected. We do not expect any changes to be made immediately, but would be grateful if you could advise when you anticipate the changes being made.
Should you require guidance on the display of nationality and registration marks on your aircraft please refer to CAP 523, this is available for viewing and printing via the CAA website at http://www.caa.co.uk/cap523. If you do not have access to the Internet and require a printed version of CAP 523 please contact us at the address below to request a free copy.
Please forward a colour photograph, to this office at the address below, once the aircraft registration marks have been amended to comply with the Air Navigation Order 2009. Electronic photographs can be sent to [email protected].