FAA License "renewal"

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Hitchman

FAA License "renewal"

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:01 pm

I need to change the address on my FAA licence and also to have the "English proficiency" added which is an FAA requirement to be done before some time early next year.

I have been told that to do this rather than just informing the FAA of my change of address and that I can speak english, I have to re-apply for a new licence!

This involves sending all the paperwork, copies of licence, medical etc to FAA Oklahoma City again, filling in the form and sending £16 to the CAA (probably gone up by now!) so the CAA will agree to tell the FAA that I really do have the UK licence that Ive sent the FAA a copy of.
Then arranging a visit to a FSDO ( local FAA office in the USA) so they can go through the paperwork again that their colleagues in Oklahoma have already seen and finally issue me with a tempororary licence and then get the permanent licence sent in the post.

This seems totally ridiculas, but it is the American government and we know they are paranoid about foreigners flying in their coutry.

It would appear that everyone with an FAA licence needs to do this before a certain time next year, as the English proficiency needs to be on your FAA licence by that time, otherwise the licence is invalid. This includes those with original FAA licences, ie not based on their UK licence.

anyone know an easier way!?

llanddewi

Post by llanddewi » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi
Not sure how it works for Faa license on the back of a UK license but for a full blown Faa license you can log on the the FAA webb site, register then change your adrress and request a new license with English language endorsement, costs 2$ you can pay by credit card and new license will be with you in about 2 weeks.
Brian

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I tried to get my stand-alone FAA Certificate updated (the $2 version as I believe), but the website resolutely refuses to let me do this, perhaps because it sees the UK address ..?

Is anyone else in that situation or has anyone an answer before I enter into comms with them?

Thanks!

CC
Nic Orchard

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Nige,

I did this earlier this year. It is £40 to the CAA who then send a copy of the docs to Oklahoma. You also send a form and photocopies direct to the FAA, nominating the FSDO you intend to present yourself at. The FAA send this paperwork to your nominated FSDO ahead of you arriving there.

You then arrive, passport, licence, and letter in hand to get issued a new temporary licence. The new plastic one is then sent in the post to you, and takes a month or two.

I used the FSDO in Scottsdale on a PHX trip. Contact me if you need help with it.

ATB,

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman