Post AGM Thought

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MatthewC

Post AGM Thought

Post by MatthewC » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 am

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, it occurs to me that, post AGM, there remains an outstanding action about the Woodhams Trophy issue.

I think that a rule change is required to prevent someone raising exactly the same issue again in the future, and I see nothing in the latest magazine about such an action being required. As I understand the rules, it would be perfectly possible for any member to raise repeatably any contentious issue every year and the Board could not prevent it. I don't know what form this rule change would take - some leeway for the Board or a minimum number of supporters to the proposal possibly - but surely something should be done, or is there something I have missed in the rules as they currently stand?
Matthew Clements

Paul Catanach

Re: Post AGM Thought

Post by Paul Catanach » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:07 pm

I see your point Matthew but would like the think that this was a one-off with nobody else being so crass as to drag us through a repeat.

I hear TCT has at least followed through on her promise to resign from the LAA so there’ll be no more tantrums from that quarter.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Matthew. There is a democratic process for the changing of Articles, the board can't simply decide to do it. I have no doubt the ramifications of the Bill Woodhams issue will be discussed by the board and if it is deemed necessary to amend the Articles to deal with a reoccurrence of similar issues in a different way, a Motion to change the Articles will be put to the members at next year's AGM. I tend to agree with Paul that this was something of an exceptional issue, and you can't plan for every curved ball when you formulate the Articles.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 am

Hi Matthew ,
I think what should be borne in mind is the fact that most AGM's are pretty civilised , low key events with a pretty normal agenda of standard fare , 'parish notices' type items .
I've been a member for 27yrs , many others here outstrip me in membership seniority by a country mile and I'm sure that nobody, but nobody , has ever seen anything quite like what has happened at the 2016 and 2018 AGM's.
The only other mildly controversial issue was " a whiff of scandal at the PFA" ,[1995 ?] which paled into insignificance compared to this , and I don't think it reached anything like AGM level .

I certainly don't expect to ever see anything like this occurring again at any level within the LAA and considering how certain people pushed others to the absolute limits , I believe that the LAA conducted itself impeccably in what almost certainly will be a 'one-off'.

Also , with consideration to the problem now being 'cut off at source' , then I firmly believe that we can all get back to proper grassroots aviation matters now without distractions.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:17 am

Couldn't sleep? :wink:
Nic Orchard

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:23 pm

ChampChump wrote:Couldn't sleep? :wink:
Early shift 5:am start Nic .
I haven't [quite] retired yet . [ I just look old.. :D ..]
I only do P/T though , and VAA still keep putting a nice dollop of money into my bank each month... 8)

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:32 pm

I think Chris has pretty much summed up the situation.

The rank and file can draw a line under this and move on to what they do best.

Keeping flying within the grasp of the man in the street.

I doubt there will ever again be a ‘Bird in a Biplane’ firing a salvo of legals at the LAA.

I appreciate she has her supporters to whom I would like to pose this question.

For such a PR hungry ‘aviatrix’ why didn’t she fly her Stearman solo in to Sywell,on one of the most CAVOK days of year, for the Rally?

Despite her allegations of misogyny she arrived dual in a mundane aircraft alongside a man!

Indeed I cannot find any pictures online or in the press of Tracey ever navigating on her own around the UK.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Chris Martyr wrote:
ChampChump wrote:Couldn't sleep? :wink:
Early shift 5:am start Nic .
I haven't [quite] retired yet . [ I just look old.. :D ..]
I only do P/T though , and VAA still keep putting a nice dollop of money into my bank each month... 8)

Fairy nuff. Glad to have stopped all those weird hours.

'CC
Nic Orchard

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 am

Mike Flynn wrote:I appreciate she has her supporters to whom I would like to pose this question.

For such a PR hungry ‘aviatrix’ why didn’t she fly her Stearman solo in to Sywell,on one of the most CAVOK days of year, for the Rally?

Despite her allegations of misogyny she arrived dual in a mundane aircraft alongside a man!

Indeed I cannot find any pictures online or in the press of Tracey ever navigating on her own around the UK.

Please don’t.

I say this as one of her (many) open detractors. As far as the LAA is concerned, she’s done. Let’s leave it there.

I agree. The subject has been well aired and should now be closed