Export Certificate of Airworthiness

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Martenare

Export Certificate of Airworthiness

Post by Martenare » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm

I am about to buy a UK permit to fly aircraft but I live in Sweden and I will eventually change over to a Swedish registration. I order to do that, I will need an Export Certificate if Airworthiness which entails a visit by an inspector. I am guessing that this is an LAA inspector in this case?
Does anyone know if this can be done abroad or if the aircraft must be present in the UK?

Thanks for your help!
Marten Areskoug

Mark A

Re: Export Certificate of Airworthiness

Post by Mark A » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 am

An export CofA can only be given to an aircraft with a standard CofA. It merely certifies that the aircraft conforms to the type certificate data.
I believe homebuilts in Sweden use a system similar to the FAA.

I know that many homebuilt aircraft have been imported into Sweden. I would guess it involves a condition inspection, documentation check and re-registration.

I suggest you contact the Swedish EAA who, I believe, have oversight of Swedish homebuilts.
Mark Albery

Martenare

Post by Martenare » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark.
Are you sure about that? As far as Inhave understood all Annex II aircraft that are imported from another EASA state need to have an Export Certificate of Airworthiness. EASA aircraft on the other hand do not.

I am in contact with the Swedish EAA but Inam trying to find out if the inspection for the Export CofA can be done in Sweden or if it has to be done in the UK.
Marten Areskoug

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:51 pm

The situation may be different depending whether the aircraft is amateur built or an orphaned factory built aircraft that has been granted a permit to fly. Amateur built aircraft don't have a type certificate data sheet (TCDS), so there is no way that they can obtain an export CofA.

There are some permit to fly aircraft in the UK such as Cubs and Cessna 120s etc that were allowed to move on to permit despite still having a type certificate owner and nominal parts support. That may be problematic to move on to a different register as they may have subsequently deviated from their type certificate by use of alternative parts. If that is your case, you really need to establish the requirements of the Swedish authorities.

It may be possible to get an EASA form 27 for a factory built aircraft flying on a UK permit to fly, but only if all part replacements and maintenance has conformed to the TCDS or can be returned to that state. That could be a major problem in most cases.
Mark Albery