GA Fire extinguisher

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Phil Pilot

GA Fire extinguisher

Post by Phil Pilot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi all,
I'm new on here but as an aviator i'm finding that juast about everything connected with aviation is expencive,including our friend the Halon fire exstinguisher. There is however from Feb/March 2019
a new chemical fire exstinguisher that is less toxic and cheaper than the Halon.It will be distributed by County Fire Protection Ltd based at Rochester Airport, Chatham, Kent.
It will b a 1Kg size with transport bracket.
All the very best to you all.
Phil Crowe
Philip Crow

Chris Martyr

Re: GA Fire extinguisher

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:21 pm

If I may ask three questions Phil.

1. What are the main chemical constituents of "the new fire extinguisher" .
2. Is it suitable for all types of fire .
3. Do you have any connection to the company offering this product.

I'm not trying to trip you up with any of these questions . I am genuinely interested .

Phil Pilot

Post by Phil Pilot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Chris,
Having looked at the price of Halon extinguishers for GA aircraft and being a pilot myself, I've
often wondered why other extinguisher companies have not marketed an alternative?
Fortunately I am part owner of a fire protection company and was able to approach our main supplier.
After some research they came back with a hand held extinguisher containing FE-36 capable of dealing with solid,fuel and electrical fires, so Class A, B,and electrical.
FE-36 is a clean agent, less toxic than Halon and Cheaper.
Halon will eventually disappear so FE-36, which has been around for some is a start.
Hope i haven't spoken out of place or posted this in the wrong place but thought it
would be a chance to benefit us all.
Kind regards
Phil
Philip Crow

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Halon BCF extinguishers are still pretty much the industry norm on CAT type aircraft , mainly due to the massive temperature ranges that they can cope with . Obviously , with GA types , the same problem doesn't really exist .
Phil Pilot wrote: the price of Halon extinguishers for GA aircraft
Indeed , and using Halon BCF extinguishers is probably a bit of a waste of money anyway on most GA aeroplanes , especially LAA PtF types .

Re: Mentioning this on here ? :D Well , I am sure that many LAA'ers may find a bit of food for thought here regarding the product . I certainly have no axe to grind here as a mere rank & file LAA member . There hasn't been any intervention from 'above' has there ?... :D

I'm sure this forum has coped with worse . :wink:

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi Phil - that's really good news that there is a substitute fire extinguisher since it has become more and more difficult to buy replacement Halon ones. Halon is still allowed in GA aeroplanes but the toxicity may kill you when it gets hot, but I have been nursing mine for several years now hoping it will not fail the weight and pressure test each year.

So big"tick in the box" from me for you finding a supplier with an alternative, as you wouldn't really want to have a BCF let off in the cockpit for a small fire as you would really end up in IMC !!

So I suppose we ought to know how much they are and whether we can get them mail order or by personal visit ?

John
John Luck

Seagull

Post by Seagull » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello!

Thanks for this. I'm not especially happy with the dry powder extinguisher in my aeroplane so it's good to know that a BCF replacement is in the offing. I had a search for portable FE-36 extinguishers and it appears that none are yet available in the UK. But here's the web site for the supplier that Phil mentions: https://countyfireprotection.co.uk/ which I shall keep half an eye on.

FWIW I found lots of 2.5lb units available in the USA for (typically) about $140. Who knows what they'll cost over here...
Ruth Kelly

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

Are there any stats on where fire in aircraft are most likely to occur - in the cabin, or under the engine cowling ? If under the cowling, I’d fit a discharge “ring main” within it and an extinguisher plug-in point in the cabin - no contamination in the cabin. In such a case you’d want the fire put out by whatever medium is suitable. Perhaps powder or AFFF. For an electrical fire in the cabin, powder or AFFF is out of the question and you are limited to a gas type. All dependant on weight limitations on aircraft loading of course.