Europa Owners conversion. Taildragger to Tri-gear

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

nigel henry

Europa Owners conversion. Taildragger to Tri-gear

Post by nigel henry » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi All. I am after many years just sorting my Europa classic that started out as a Mono then a taildragger (Swiss) and about to be turned into a Tri-gear. Has anybody else done this conversion? I am after information on removing the reinforcing for the transleaf undercarrage. Advice/ Help, from fellow builders repairers Owners. The engine is now a 914 Turbo ( not installed yet) A local inspector europa builder would be good who has experence with minor repairs and upgrades. I am based in Oxford UK Thanks.

mcfadyeanda

Re: Europa Owners conversion. Taildragger to Tri-gear

Post by mcfadyeanda » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Nigel,
Removal of the Swiss gear will be the reverse of installation(!). The installation manual is available on the Europa Club website, or I can send you a copy.
Please don't cut the leg out; I'll come and remove for you and pay for it!
The fuselage reinforcements won't be removable without risk of damage to the foam-cored skin of the fuselage, excepting perhaps the forward mounting flange that intrudes in to leg space.
However, you may have noticed that in many Europa crashes the whole front of the aircraft 'nods off' from about the location of the front edge of the seat, particularly the monowheel. Leaving the taildragger reinforcements in place will reinforce this area that breaks.

Rgds.,
Duncan McFadyean
Duncan McFadyean