RENTING AN AIRFIELD

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

howell

RENTING AN AIRFIELD

Post by howell » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am

Can any wise person comment please, if a group rent an airfield from a landowner, if there was an accident and a claim followed should the group who rent the airfield be insured or will the ultimate liability rest with the landowner and his insurance.

Chris.
Christopher Howell

Gerry Holland

Re: RENTING AN AIRFIELD

Post by Gerry Holland » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Chris
Not sure I can give a definitive answer as each case can be different.
I rent about 2 Hectares of Land making a 520M X 30M Grass Strip. It has lead off at 24 end to Hangar.
The 4 aircraft that are resident have insurance with liability of £1M or more. I have no other Insurance for the Site. The Landowner has insurance for a variety of conditions on the land and farm buildings.
We have had an incident or two, nobody hurt and in one case a full Insurance repair to aircraft.
Two things can affect your use and insurance. If the incident damages crops or causes fuel contamination of soil.

My advice would be to sit down with the prospective Landlord and map out responsibility for damage but more importantly rules to access and use of the land you rent for Strip. Considerations are visitors by air, walking or car. Is that at their own risk? Number of air movements. Type of aircraft allowed in. Some aircraft are extremely noisy. Cessna 185/Bigger Pipers etc. Helicopters...yes or no?
If you PM me I may have documents that you can look at and amend for your own use.
Our Strip has been in existence 40+ years, 13 as my responsibility. If you are in SW of England pop over and get a feel for the responsibility. The Police through Ports Authority will want a log of all aircraft movements and will check the log at least once a year.
I'm happy to let you have our story if you think it might help.
Regards
Gerry