Experience with Electronic Ignition

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

flightfantastic

Experience with Electronic Ignition

Post by flightfantastic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Anyone care to share their experience with choosing and fitting electronic ignition, preferably to an O200 (Jodel 1050).
Alan Jackson

Chris Martyr

Re: Experience with Electronic Ignition

Post by Chris Martyr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

I feel a bit guilty responding to your post Alan , as I cannot offer anything in the way of an answer .

At least not for an 0-200 and I cannot recall ever seeing any small Continentals equipped with such , although I'm sure having said that , our cousins across the pond probably will have a solution or two to your query.
Plus of course , if you were to find a solution , then it'll mean applying for a mod. [brave boy :D ]

You could though , apply a bit of reverse logic , and contact the folk in LAA Engineering to see if they already have such a mod. already carried out on their files. Because if that was the case , it could save you from any possible , future suicidal tendencies you may possibly encounter as 'launch customer'.

Now,,,if you were asking about electronic ignition on a VW,,, :wink: :wink: ,,then you'd probably have a page full of answers by now .

I hope you find an answer Alan , but I've a sneaking feeling that after a bit of number crunching , you may find it's less heartache to stick with mags.
Good Luck.. :D

P5151

Re: Experience with Electronic Ignition

Post by P5151 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Alan

I think the Pmag will drop straight in, I am pretty sure they have one for Continental Engines.

I have two in my RV4 and they are really easy to time. If you run with an EI commander this doubles as a tacho, manifold pressure, oat so you could loose some weight in instruments or add functionality. It constantly monitors the mags and ignition system to tell you of faults. As far as I know I am the only one running one in the UK, certainly was rather first to fit.

What you have been told by Chris is not correct because these are all dealt with as prototype mods at the moment and I guess will be until a database of engine, ign, prop combination becomes large enough to provide enough evidence on the set ups.

Prototype mods is a bit of a pain but like anything it’s worth doing if it increase performance so my advice would be to go for it.

I used to run another EI system with one mag which started to play up. When the EI cut out the difference in power,smoothness and efficiency was really noticeable. Get and Cht were really affected as well.
Steve Arnold