Amanda Harrison solo to Australia in a Tiger Moth

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Flynn

Amanda Harrison solo to Australia in a Tiger Moth

Post by Mike Flynn » Sat May 11, 2019 9:18 am

I am sure you all want to join me in wishing the very best to Amanda who leaves for Darwin today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/solo2darwin?lang=en

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... re-others/

ChampChump

Re: Amanda Harrison solo to Australia in a Tiger Moth

Post by ChampChump » Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

Latest news is a bird strike on the spinner. I hope it's not too long a pause.

Amanda could probably do with a little more support.

https://www.gofundme.com/solo2darwin

https://www.amandajharrison.com/solo2darwin
Nic Orchard

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Well done Mike for putting this one on here ! I'm sure that many LAA'ers will be following Amanda's progress with great interest . I know that there are many aspects of life which have changed beyond recognition since the 1930s , but once you really ARE alone up there in an open cockpit biplane , then the human aspects of the whole thing probably are not much different from when Amy did it .

Well done also to Nic for putting the link on . I'm glad to see that a few more donations have rolled in since you put it on 'over the way'. Could still do with a bit of a jolt though couldn't it ?

I guess if you're going to get a bird-strike , the spinner's probably not a bad place to have it . Hopefully , our gal will wipe her goggles clean and get under way ... :D

ridders

Post by ridders » Wed May 22, 2019 10:06 am

The most fantastic part of Amanda’s trip that retraces Amy Johnson’s route in the 1930s is that, as she has said herself - she is attempting this Solo.

That means no support aircraft, no one else to carry spares or oil and no one that’s along with her to help. She carries everything that she can, with her in the aircraft.

What an amazing thing to do, what an inspirational person.

www.amandajharrison.com
Dave Ridley

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu May 30, 2019 2:38 pm

A good picture on p.14 of The Times today shows 'our gal' taxiing in Beirut . But in true Times/Telegraph fashion , the only show the pic. with no accompanying story .

Great to see Amanda back on the trail again though.. :D ..

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:16 pm

More problems for Amanda.
PRESS & MEDIA RELEASE
London, June 1st. 12.00 noon.
**(Heart) Breaking News** Solo2Darwin
It was today announced that the Solo2Darwin Challenge of Amanda Harrison has been forced to pause in Beirut on the journey from the U.K. to Darwin, Australia.
“I am gutted, and it has taken a day for me to stop crying.” said Amanda, “But I have to face up to reality. I can’t go forward right now, so I have to be patient and go again as soon as the geo-politics are sorted out. I shall be back!”
Notices to Airman (NOTAMs) issued from the Pakistan, Indian and Oman air traffic control effectively closes airspace to east bound flights from Oman to Pakistan and India (below 24,000ft) which is way above Amanda’s maximum flying height.
An additional and presently insuperable problem is the border between India and Pakistan is closed. This will not open until at least 14th June but there is no firm end in sight to the closure of this airspace.
When Solo2Darwin was planned, none of these restrictions were in place. The specific India/Pakistan border issue occurred in February this year but the airspace was reopened for a short period afterwards. Solo2Darwin moved forward but the planned end to those restrictions did not take place. “It’s like hitting a brick wall of restrictions we can’t go around.” Said Mike Wigg, Chief of Technical Support for Solo2Darwin.
“These Airspace restrictions as well as the growing tension and military activity in the Persian Gulf mean that Solo2Darwin cannot continue safely for the moment.”
Planning and Technical Support was always aware that certain parts of the world would be challenging but the escalation of problems in this region has been worse than anticipated and government restrictions cannot be ignored.
Amanda added “So many people offered and have given their support in many ways and we will work to comp @ Beirut, Lebanon

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:51 pm

How frustrating this must be for that poor girl . Let's hope that she realises that her supporters [ of whom I'm sure there are many] are all wishing an expeditious resolution may be found in the next week or so . Just a case of finding the right palm[s] to grease , I'm sure .

Not being a 'twitterer' or much of a blogger either , I would really appreciate if any good folk on here with a nose for news [Mike,, :D ] could put a post on if there are any sudden developments .

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:02 am

Latest here from Amanda.

She describes the problem in the Channel Five interview.

https://mobile.twitter.com/5_News/statu ... 3619153920

https://mobile.twitter.com/Solo2Darwin