Around the world in two gyros

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tnowak

Around the world in two gyros

Post by tnowak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 pm

James Ketchell took off from Popham approx. one month ago to fly around the world in his gyro.
He is accompanied by one other gyro and they are currently in Alaska having flown east across Russia.
This is his website and links to some truly amazing videos:
http://jamesketchell.net/
The video of the crossing of the Bering Straits is superb.

This is his GPS tracker website:
https://z6z.co/gyro

Beats the burger run to Sandown!

Tony
Tony Nowak

Chris Martyr

Re: Around the world in two gyros

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 am

Crikey ,,,,He's a bit of a boy old James isn't he ? Especially when you see on his website all the other things he's done... 8)
Probably not the sort of guy you'd find doing clerical work in an office then !.. :D

A bit of a pity that so few seem to come on here , as I found the link to his website quite fascinating reading .

tnowak wrote:Beats the burger run to Sandown!

Tony
Yes but we only say this coz we're 'flyers' ourselves Tony . I love jumping into my aeroplane and bimbling off to Sandown for the day . It only comes into context when someone from the non-flying community asks ; "what you've been up to today then". They're often quite amazed when you reply that you've flown down to the I.o.W. taken a walk into Shanklin , had a nice seafood lunch , had a walk by the sea and then flown home again .

I can sit and spend an hour just gazing contentedly at Culver cliff . But I suspect that James has a slightly lower threshold of boredom than I have . :lol:

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 pm

James is about to cross from Canada to Greenland in the next week.

See his track here https://z6z.co/gyro

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:19 pm

All that ski-ing , cycling , rowing , trekking , messing about in gyrocopters .....

About time that lad got 'imself a proper bloody job . :D

But in all seriousness , may one assume that James is an LAA member ? He is a great ambassador if he is . 8) 8)

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am

You're right, Chris. Some folk have no limits and it's good to see what can be achieved when we think it's all been done, somehow. Those who frequent Flyer forums will have seen Katamarino's round the world trip, described a day at a time. He's flown in one day what would be a huge achievement itself for many. Frequently.

That said, who's not had a bit of a smirk that first time realising that the trip to the IOW epitomises why we fly. Joe Public has to plot and plan and book a ferry... I'm conveniently ignoring any weather issues, naturally.
Nic Orchard