group A aircraft definition ?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

speedtape

group A aircraft definition ?

Post by speedtape » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Someone will im sure know the answer. I have a JAR uk PPL which inlcudes SLMG.

So what is the weight defintion of a SEP ? ie lowest ??
What classes as a microlight or the nppl aircraft in weight terms ?
SLMG weights ?

I tried lasors and the caa site with no success...

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:47 pm

There is no lower weight category for “group a”. If an aircraft is 100kg but does not comply with the micro stall speed for example, it will be “group a”. An NPPL (a) is up to 2000kg. No idea about SLMG, but if I had to guess it would be from 0 to 2000kg (if using an NPPL).

Rod1

Captain Pulsar

Post by Captain Pulsar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:09 pm

For a JAA PPL I think the max is 5700kg. I think the Antonov AN2 is about as big as you can go.

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Obviously not enough work to do Rod :lol:

"Group A" doesn't exist any more. It has been replaced by Class Ratings, e.g. SEP.

Art 155 of the ANO is your friend
‘Microlight aeroplane’ means an aeroplane designed to carry not more than two
persons which has:
(a) a maximum total weight authorised not exceeding:
(i) 300 kg for a single seat landplane, (or 390 kg for a single seat landplane in respect of which a permit to fly or certificate of airworthiness issued by the CAA was in force prior to 1st January 2003);
(ii) 450 kg for a two seat landplane;
(iii) 330 kg for a single seat amphibian or floatplane; or
(iv) 495 kg for a two seat amphibian or floatplane; and
(b) a stalling speed at the maximum total weight authorised not exceeding 35 knots calibrated airspeed;

‘Self-launching motor glider’ means an aircraft with the characteristics of a nonpower- driven glider, which is fitted with one or more power units and which is designed or intended to take off under its own power;

'Self-propelled hang-glider' means an aircraft comprising an aerofoil wing and a mechanical propulsion device which:
(a) is foot launched;
(b) has a stall speed or minimum steady flight speed in the landing configuration not exceeding 35 knots calibrated airspeed;
(c) carries a maximum of two persons;
(d) has a maximum fuel capacity of 10 litres; and
(e) has a maximum unladen weight, including full fuel, of 60 kg for single place aircraft and 70 kg for two place aircraft;

‘Self-sustaining glider’ means an aircraft with the characteristics of a non-powerdriven glider which is fitted with one or more power units capable of sustaining the aircraft in flight but which is not designed or intended to take off under its own power;

‘Simple single engine aeroplane’ means for the purposes of the National Private Pilot’s Licence a single engine piston aeroplane with a maximum take-off weight authorised not exceeding 2000 kg and which is not a microlight aeroplane or a selflaunching motor glider;
and so on and so on....

For Classes of aircraft in a JAR Aeroplane License you need JAR-FCL1
Touring Motor Glider (TMG):
A motor glider having a certificate of airworthiness issued or accepted by a JAA Member State having an integrally mounted, non-retractable engine and a non-retractable propeller plus those listed in Appendix 1 to JARFCL
It shall be capable of taking off and climbing under its own power according to its flight manual.
Apart from that it's pretty self-descriptive, SEP means what it says on the tin.

speedtape

Post by speedtape » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Mike,

thanks for that. I had right idea, wrong publications. I am thinking along what was obviously the old system, as to hours counting towards cpl issue.

looks like its more of a mindfield to go through all the types as to what is what then I first thought.

or more importantly, what the cheapest thing to buy/operate and have the hours count for a cpl

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

You're welcome

JAR-FCL1 linked to in my previous post will tell you the hours requirements for the CPL, which should enable you to work it out.

Good luck!

Dragcurve

Post by Dragcurve » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Your SLMG will entitle you to fly a SLMG/TMG but you will not be able to log your hours - you can only do that if you get a TMG rating - Duh! (same aircraft, same licence)!!