2020 Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

dmarti32

2020 Rally

Post by dmarti32 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Just a thought, Could the booking slot process be changed so we can book for either Grass or Hard?
Regards
Dave
David Martin

Brian Hope

Re: 2020 Rally

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Dave, to be honest I am not sure that would really help as the joining procedure is the same until final. One of the concerns raised over the AIC was dual runway operation, which was fortunately allayed for this year. In my view having two runways is a safer option, offering a choice particularly if there's a crosswind when grass is more forgiving. It also naturally keeps the traffic flow farther apart on roll out and taxi.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm

My major concern is the self discipline that is required when joining the Pitsford hold.
Looking at 2 of the 3 airprox reports from last year, neither of the 4 Aircraft followed the correct track.
If only we could communicate that to everyone, I think it help greatly.
Unfortunately circuits in the UK are becoming quite haphazard and so it becomes the norm.

Alan

dmarti32

2019 Rally & AICs

Post by dmarti32 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I see there are two AIC's published for the Rally: Yellow 038 & Yellow 098.

Yellow 098 has the changes mentioned on page 35 of this months mag.

Regards

Dave
David Martin

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:43 am

Hi David, 038 was actually withdrawn some weeks ago, and 098 mentions its cancellation in the header. If anybody reading this is not a member and is intending to fly into the Rally, please make sure you have this revised AIC as there are subtle differences to the joining and departure procedures.

Hi Alan. We have put the new AIC up on the website (link from News on the home page), plus a printable pdf of the aide memoire that will come with the August magazine. LA is being bundled with FLYER as well this month, so any non members who take FLYER and are planning to come to the Rally will also receive a copy of it, plus of course the Rally details in LA.

We are also currently working with Rob at SkyDemon to produce a gizmo of the joining procedures that SkyDemon users will be able to download and attach to the Sywell end of their route into the Rally. We will be testing the download into iPad and Android tablets and phones in the next few days and details will be included in the next magazine and on the LAA website. We don't want to encourage pilots to have their eyes in the cockpit rather than on stalks looking out the window, but we hope it will encourage better adherence to the AIC instructions.

Finally, we have run into a glitch over the bookings that were made early in the year when the slot bookings were opened inadvertently. To be fair to those who booked, we asked Sywell to save the bookings and intended having the slot booking site reopened on August 1 with them still in situ. However, the CAA's subsequent insistence that everybody that books a slot must first read the joining instructions and then tick a box acknowledging they have done so, before they are able to actually book the slot, means that the early bookings do not comply. Sywell has agreed to email those who booked early, letting them know they have to rebook, and the plan is to open the website for a short spell to allow them to do so before the site is available to all.

Naturally we and Sywell will do all we can to make this work, but there can't be many of us that have never had a problem with computers, so if you were an early booker, and don't for some reason get an email from Sywell, please keep an eye on the booking site so you can rebook as soon as it opens.
I'd appreciate somebody putting this up on the FLYER forum and any other forums they think are relevant. Thanks, and please come to the Rally and have a great time!

colinwilkinson

Post by colinwilkinson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:13 am

Hi All,

Can I just ask, are we talking about the rally in 2019, or as per the title, 2020 ?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am

Hi Colin, the thread stated talking about the an idea for the 2020 Rally but the details about the AIC etc are about the 2019 Rally. Probably a better idea to start a thread solely about this year, so I will.