Import Vans Quickbuild kit

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

colinga

Import Vans Quickbuild kit

Post by colinga » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Afternoon all - sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere but I am looking to the next stage of my VANS RV7 build. Empenage is pretty much done but has taken far longer than I imagined. It turns out that having a family and a full time job slows me down a bit. To that end I intend to order the quickbuild kits for the wings and fuselage.

Has anyone got experience of this? I am more interested in the logistics of it more than anything else. They will arrive in very large crates and I am wondering how they get from the docks to my house. Do I need to order a lorry with a crane/forklift etc?
Colin Geary-Andrews

foggy

Re: Import Vans Quickbuild kit

Post by foggy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pm

My RV7 QB kit was delivered in two very large and heavy crates. I ordered the delivery truck to have it own crane. If you have access to a forklift it may be OK but I would worry the crates are too big for an average forklift. Once on the ground, a friend and I managed to get the wings on their stand and get the fuselage into the garage manually. I have photographs which I can send if you want. e mail me at: [email protected]
Kevin Fogarty

colinga

Post by colinga » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:42 am

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have emailed you separately. :)
Colin Geary-Andrews

petero

Post by petero » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 am

Hi,
I live in a rural area with difficult access. I used a shipper (OIA) that offered delivery, though they did not offer unload facility. I got a local farm contractor with large tractor and pallet loader and largish trailer to off load and move up to my workshop. Cost £100 but has worked very well on two occasions, saved a lot of time and aggravation. It helped that the transport company were able to give very accurate eta's for the truck arrival.
Hope this helps.
Peter.
Peter Oglesby

colinga

Post by colinga » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:54 pm

petero wrote:Hi,
I live in a rural area with difficult access. I used a shipper (OIA) that offered delivery, though they did not offer unload facility. I got a local farm contractor with large tractor and pallet loader and largish trailer to off load and move up to my workshop. Cost £100 but has worked very well on two occasions, saved a lot of time and aggravation. It helped that the transport company were able to give very accurate eta's for the truck arrival.
Hope this helps.
Peter.
Thanks Peter - I will look in to OIA
Colin Geary-Andrews

P5151

Post by P5151 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 pm

The other alternative if you want to save money is use a trailer which is what I did with a 9 kit. I have an aircraft trailer and it was really loaded up but two of us managed to get it all on and off.
Steve Arnold