Future of the Forum

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Re: Future of the Forum

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:13 am

Hi Tony, I certainly think we should use the forum to its maximum capability and specific subjects like engines and popular aircraft types seem to me to be perfectly appropriate. I'll check the current situation on how this can be achieved and get back.
re the personal messages. I'm not a computer geek so have no notification set up for when I get a PM. As it came up on this thread, I checked my mailbox and had four unanswered messages, two were recent about the Rally and I have answered them, the other two were from ages ago so apologies if anybody has sent me a PM and failed to get a response.
BobD, when you have amassed a list of suggestions of forum improvements from this thread, could you send an email to HQ and copy me in please, I can then follow up to see what can be done when we do get around to the website revamp.

djwood

Post by djwood » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Brian,

That's very encouraging. Thank you. I know a number of Moth/Gipsy owners who would be interested. I even offered to help organise or moderate it if that was necessary. Who should I talk to set it up?

David
David Wood
FI(A)/FE(A) based in the South West

BobD

Post by BobD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:53 am

tnowak wrote:Bob,

What browser are you using? If you are using Internet Explorer try using a different one like Chrome or Edge.
I see lots of different results in how things are displayed when switching between browsers.

Tony
I mainly access the Forum from my tablet using Chrome. I think the problems I have outlined are site rather than browser based, but to test, I have just installed Firefox, and will try that for a few days.
Brian Hope wrote: BobD, when you have amassed a list of suggestions of forum improvements from this thread, could you send an email to HQ and copy me in please, I can then follow up to see what can be done when we do get around to the website revamp.
Wilco
Bob Dawson

djwood

Post by djwood » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 am

Bit of a 'bump' here, but any progress on the idea of setting up some type-specific sub-forums? I pm'd Brian Hope but I haven't had a reply yet.
David Wood
FI(A)/FE(A) based in the South West

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Brian et al are likely 110% occupied working on the LAA Rally, it's only a week tomorrow !

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry Dave, unless people tell me I have a personal message I don't go looking for it. Email is the best way to contact me. I did have a chat with John Dean, the moderator (that makes him sound like a wrestler, doesn't it), about type specific subjects but as he pointed out, practically all of those we have set up to date are now pretty well defunct with no posts for many months, even years! What we came up with is why not start a thread on an issue, say Tiger Moths, or Continental engines, on Hangar Chat, and if it proves very popular, we'll set up a subject specific heading.
Unfortunately I am, as Mike suggests, now very much embroiled in the Rally and will be on site at Sywell from first thing Tuesday. I hope to see many of you at the show. We have some very interesting things going on, including the debut of Ivan Shaw's exciting new aircraft. Ivan will be presenting a talk on the aircraft on Saturday evening in Hangar 2 (the fully quipped conference hangar next to Hangar 1) starting at 19.00.
Ivan is quite the raconteur and very entertaining, so don't miss it.
The band, the Pommy Granites, a 60's onwards rock cover band, crank up at 20.30 in Hangar 1.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:51 am

Brian,

I get an e-mail notification sent to my regular mail system if someone posts a "personal message" for me on the forum. Is that not working for you?
Tony
Tony Nowak

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi Tony, no I don't get an email. I'll call John or Pen after the Rally to see if I can sort it out.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 am

A fully quipped conference hangar will certainly be popular.

:D
Nic Orchard

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 am

ChampChump wrote:A fully quipped conference hangar will certainly be popular.

:D
I think one can say that it has served its purpose well in the past , Nic . :wink:

BobD

Post by BobD » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Brian Hope wrote: BobD, when you have amassed a list of suggestions of forum improvements from this thread, could you send an email to HQ and copy me in please, I can then follow up to see what can be done when we do get around to the website revamp.
Hi Brian,
As requested, I have now sent you (and the Office) a list of suggested improvements, by e-mail. I didn't send you a PM, as one of the points is the unreliability of the PM System. :twisted:
Bob Dawson

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 am

If not on Bob's list, please add the fact that one cannot delete old private messages from the Inbox or Sent items. Has been like this now for a year or more.

Thanks

Tony
Tony Nowak

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi Bob, Tony, thanks for this. I'll follow up with the office on Monday. I know the website update has been put on hold and expect it is likely to be so until the LAA/BMAA merger decision has been resolved, but if we at least get some sort of decision as to what is required of a new forum it will be there ready for when the project does get started.
Best rgds, Brian