LAA Rally 2019 Duplicate bookings.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

r_w_walker

LAA Rally 2019 Duplicate bookings.

Post by r_w_walker » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:25 pm

I would like to fly in to this years rally but all the slots are full.
Despite the request not to book more than one slot 315 slots are booked to only 142 aircraft.
That is some pilots have booked two or three slots.
Some of the duplicates are with different pilots but most are the same pilot.
Perhaps the booking system could be programmed to prevent double and triple bookings in future?
Robert Walker

BobD

Re: LAA Rally 2019 Duplicate bookings.

Post by BobD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:03 am

r_w_walker wrote:I would like to fly in to this years rally but all the slots are full.
Despite the request not to book more than one slot 315 slots are booked to only 142 aircraft.
That is some pilots have booked two or three slots.
Some of the duplicates are with different pilots but most are the same pilot.
Perhaps the booking system could be programmed to prevent double and triple bookings in future?
Robert, this must be very frustrating for you. It may be that nearer the time, one or two of the duplicate slots might be released, but you will need to keep a close eye on the booking system to spot them. Maybe there is a legitimate reason for some double bookings, but shame on those who have double booked for no good reason.
I have a Thursday afternoon slot that may become available, but I won't know until a medical examination on the Tuesday prior. I desperately want to fly in again, but am currently grounded due to a medical condition, and I would only expect a 25% chance this is resolved in time. If this slot would be any use to you, send me your email address, and I'll let you know as and when I cancel it, so you can pick it up.
Bob Dawson

r_w_walker

Post by r_w_walker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 am

Thank you for the reply and offer Bob.

Sorry but I can not make Thursday, perhaps someone else can.

On another forum a pilot with two slots does have a valid reason, he is bringing a different passenger each day.

A few of the double booked aircraft may be group aircraft as they indicate a different pilot.

I will follow your advice and keep looking at the bookings, however slots will probably not be released until the weather enables a decision to be made.
Robert Walker

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi Robert, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry I don't have a satisfactory solution. Unfortunately the CAA quite significantly reduced the number of slots we could have two or three years ago, which is why we ask people not to double book. Many of those that book each day, do so because they prefer to come for the day and then go home. Either they return the next day or somebody else does in the same aircraft.
I haven't had time to check the bookings but if an aircraft has booked twice on the same day then there is almost certainly no reason for them to do so, if they get delayed by weather it is not critical to arrive bang on time, flexibility is built in so double booking is not necessary.
Anybody who has booked slots they do not need, please cancel them online so somebody else can use them.
Unfortunately the CAA has made life ever more difficult because they are now insisting that pilots tick the box to say they have read the joining instructions. That means that you can no longer ring on the day to see if there is a slot available and book it on the phone because you can't tick the box. I have to say they do sometimes make it difficult to love them.
I hope you manage to get a booking and are able to fly in.
Best rgds, Brian

r_w_walker

Post by r_w_walker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Thank you if you have released a slot.
I have booked one of them, others are also available now.
Robert Walker

Clive Richards

Post by Clive Richards » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Brian
Can you not get the CAA to accept a e-mail to tower to confirm the pilot has read the procedure so the tower can release a slot freed on the day. Seems this would be as secure as online booking system to me.
Clive

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:41 am

Hi Clive, that seems a reasonable enough idea although it does complicate things at a busy time for the tower. It's certainly worth asking so I'll talk to Sywell about it.
Thanks, Brian

JJennings

Post by JJennings » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Guys,
Or have a (non-specific time) reserve list.
So you have to be on that list, so will have ticked the box, then call the tower for any available slots.
Best,
John
John Jennings