G-INFO and "Cleared to fly" Light Aviation

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

markdesmond

G-INFO and "Cleared to fly" Light Aviation

Post by markdesmond » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Funny old world.
I see that there were 9 aircraft cleared to fly in the latest edition of Light Aircraft and that with 8 of them the Name and Address of the registered owner(s) was "Held (or even withheld) by LAA engineering". One of these RV-8 G-OCXI had a photo of it at Leuchars on the same page and the owner was named. Naturally the owners details of each of the 9 aircraft are in the public domain and readily available to view thanks to the CAA.
Why does LA print or withhold owners details, when they are readily available wrightly or wrongly to the public in anycase? I would be all for making the details of aircraft owners as difficult for the public to find as that of road going vechiles.

Brian Hope

Re: G-INFO and "Cleared to fly" Light Aviation

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:14 am

Hi Mark, when members start a project they have the option to tick a box saying they prefer to keep their details private. Personally I think it's a shame that people decide to do this as it against the spirit of what I see our Association is all about - communication and helping each other and resolve problems, etc - however I appreciate some people have perfectly valid reasons to remain private.
The chap who was named has already very kindly submitted a report for Project News so we used his name in this issue though his report will appear in the next.
I do not understand the concerns over GINFO either, contrary to some I do not believe it in any way has an influence on the unfortunate engine thefts from airfields and our personal addresses are widely available in so many other areas one more isn't of any consequence.

Leesr

Re: G-INFO and "Cleared to fly" Light Aviation

Post by Leesr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Brian Hope wrote:....and our personal addresses are widely available in so many other areas one more isn't of any consequence.
I'm not convinced of that Brian. For example, I'm not on the "open" electoral register.
The only two places I'm aware of my address being in the public domain are G-INFO and the LAA Inspector Zone (I'm not bothered by the latter...that's my choice). But the former, I do object to (I have no choice).

All the best,
Rob
Rob Lees