After the Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

After the Rally

Post by ChampChump » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Another good 'un. Many, many thanks to all the many volunteers and a special mention for the airside access team, who apparently took more flak than they needed from people who should know better.

I hope those who 'misunderstood' the procedures or were unaware of them find the necessary advice.
Nic Orchard

Planemike

Re: After the Rally

Post by Planemike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Please will someone advise where I can find a listing of the aircraft that visited the Rally.

Thank you.
Michael Blake

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi Michael, I get a listing from Sywell in a week to ten days but I do not know who else gets it. We don't usually publish it I'm afraid. I don't doubt that Air Britain, or a similar organisation if there is one, will have some sort of listing but perhaps somebody who's a member will respond.
Best regards, Brian

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:14 pm

I had a good time as usual and really do appreciate the work the sparks and parks do for us.
I think the marshallers and gate guardians deserve a vote of thanks too. They all did a great job.
The rules were there for the safety of us all and showing a safety card and wristband wasn't onerous at all. No need to take umbrage about it.
The apron thing was badly managed as there were no signs, but hey ho.

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Very organised joining this year although never had a problem in the past.Interesting discussion re BMAA and
LAA merger, would like to see BMAA articles etc in magazine. Now I know who Grant Shaps is seemed very up beat, with his team. My big tent was very roomy 8)
Mike Blyth

JJennings

Post by JJennings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am

Enjoyed the rally very much.

+1 thanks to the marshallers, they (as always) did a brilliant job.
Also atc, as I nearly always have a problem with the x-wind on departure.
I did get shouted at for walking across the apron , "read you safety leaflet" he bellowed - shame I didn`t have one as I had just arrived!

On arrival, when I left pitsford, there were only 2 of us in the sky.
The other aircraft called about a minute behind me but he insisted that he had to be no.1 to the slow aeroplane ahead, as he needed the grass.
I had to do the only safe thing and extend downwind until he called final.
I think (one of) his problems was that he couldn`t fly slowly (I was indicating 75kts).
Is it time to consider an advisory speed control - say 70 kts max on leaving pitsford?
A/c that cannot comply would need to book a separate slot for high speed a/c.
Maybe a couple of 1/2 hour slots 9.30 - 1000 and 1230-1300?

Looking forward to 2020.
John
John Jennings

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Let's just say I was more than a little unhappy about the apron issue and words have already been spoken about it and I am hopeful we can have a far more common sense approach next year.
On Sunday morning, and as it happens it was following my raising the issue the evening before, I was literally two or three yards in from the corner where the beautiful polished Luscombe (G-LUSC) was parked, interviewing owner Mike Fowler because he had won Best Vintage, and was told to move. There wasn't a single aircraft moving or engine running on the entire apron at the time. It does make you wonder.
I do apologise if you were one of those bawled at through a loud hailer, it was unnecessarily OTT.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Mr Hope......

Thank you for your response. I think is a pity the LAA is unable or unwilling to publish a full listing of visiting aircraft to the rally. You state you have the information, could be published on this website, maybe?? In times gone by the PFA used to publish a souvenir supplement to the PFA "mag". It contained a full listing and also a good selection of photographs. I still have my copies.

I am a member of Air Britain. I am sure the information will appear in the monthly Air Britain News (ABN). Only problem is I do not subscribe ABN.

Michael J BLAKE
Michael Blake

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Mr Hope.... blimey that's a bit formal Mike me ol' mate. The last person to call me Mr Hope was a policeman who had just chased me down the M20. Cost me a hundred quid and three points.
By coincidence I received the report this morning, much sooner than usual. I will ask Sywell if they are OK with me making it publicly available and if they are I will post it on our website (actually I'll ask Penny to put it up, I don't have a clue how to do it myself). I'll let you know the outcome on here.
We stopped producing the Rally supplement when we went monthly with the magazine, the budget only goes so far. We'll have Rally reports in the October and November issues.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:39 am

Brian Hope wrote: interviewing owner Mike Fowler because he had won Best Vintage, and was told to move.
Brian : Of all the attendees at the rally , you , of all people are surely one of the most recognisable .
,,,,,,,,,,,and could have quite justifiably put the jobsworths in their places by reminding them ;

"Don't you bloody well know who I am". 8) :lol:

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 am

"Don't you bloody well know who I am".
I expect you say this in jest Chris but fact is I cringe if I hear such words. I am a passionate believer in equality and everybody getting a fair crack. I expect no more nor less than any other LAA member, we are all human beings who deserve to be treated with the same respect we treat others with. I never have been able to put up with dix though.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Brian Hope wrote: I cringe if I hear such words.
Absolutely right there mate . And nobody would say that in seriousness either . But the very fact that you could have used those awful words , and been quite justified in doing so , shows that the matter needs addressing .

Do you reckon it's a bit of yellow hi-viz tabard syndrome kicking in ?.................... :D

............and I can't wait to read the article in LA mag . Provided that they allowed you to finish it that is , Brian .. :D

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Agree with Chris, we are a responsible lot there to enjoy the sights and sounds of our passion, any one who starts shouting about needs sorting. Would blow my top if it happened to me :wink:
Mike Blyth

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am

If there was a lot of shouting, best grin and bear it, otherwise if we complaineth too much they may withdraw the volunteering which would scupper the rally.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:43 am

Methinks you have a valid point Bill.

After all these "pilots" turn up, ignore the safety rules & walk about as if they own the place - whilst we poor voluntary 'erks' work long hours and yet are strictly tasked with maintaining their very safety !

p.s. I've read on this & the flyer forum lots about the gathering at Pitsford 'circuit' cons and cons.
I note that no-one was killed (this time - or ever) but project fear coupled with a very long series of experiences flying into the various PFA/LAA Rallies made this particularly risky aspect sufficiently unappealing to make my alternate of Le Touquet and beyond a pleasanter experience.

mike hallam.