After the Rally

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Re: After the Rally

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Mike et al, we want feedback if there are issues that detract from your pleasure at the Rally, so please do shout, not too angrily please, or we won't know you are displeased.
The airside gate and the apron are already on the agenda. On the former, I agree with Nic, it is manned by volunteers who do on occasion get maligned by pilots who consider taking and showing the leaflet is beneath them. All I can say is that in the past, I have walked through with Francis Donaldson and Dan Griffith, and we all produced the leaflet without fuss or hindrance. I doubt there were many pilots flying in with the level of expertise of Francis and Dan, and if it's good enough for them.….. That said, we will be looking at the possibility of improving the process.
On the apron, I already have an orifice in mind in which to deposit the loudhailer. I am hopeful that we can introduce a level of common-sense next year.
Anybody put off by the drivel about the hold need only read the comments on the other forum by those who actually flew in. The general view seems to be that it really wasn't a problem, so don't be put off next year.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:04 pm

I agree with everything you said Brian.
As for the Pitsford hold, I wish people would stop being professional nitpickers and get on with it.
The pilot should be able to conduct the whole process without problems.
Any chance of someone having a "word" with those who obviously got it wrong. ie asking for airfield info, traffic service, transit via the overhead etc? Not a rollicking. More education as a just culture.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Believe you me, for us it was and always will be a great adventure getting to the rally. No complications of crowded skies and complicated airspace in the far north. An early start at 07.30 out of Wick, routing via Dundee and Fishburn we were well prepared for arrival at Sywell at 17.06 but about two minutes late. The stipulated routine was put to memory and all went to plan. I can certainly see why tempers flare if incoming visiting pilots (who have clearly not read the brief) request joining instructions and want to tell the world about who they are !
The system works.

Simon Brooke

Post by Simon Brooke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

How do I delete this post? :roll:
Last edited by Simon Brooke on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Brooke

Post by Simon Brooke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm

How do I enter the "spot the deliberate error" contest :?: :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133813370 ... 705942391/
Simon Brooke

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Afraid Simon, that prize was won over a week ago at the Rally. We didn't hangaround, we awarded the prize of a subscription to spellchecker and asked the poor soul to spread the correct spelling to all his hangar-ons.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I said I would get back with news on the possibility of posting the Rally list of arrivals. Unfortunately we are unable to publish it, for perfectly good reasons which I am not prepared to go into. No doubt the enthusiast sector will come up with their own lists in due course, if they haven't done so already. Sorry.