Bill Woodhams Trophy

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Flynn

Bill Woodhams Trophy

Post by Mike Flynn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am

I would like to suggest that the LAA recognise the incredible around the world flight of James Ketchell and award him the Bill Woodhams Trophy at this years AGM.

On 31 March this year he left Popham on an attempt to set a world record by becoming the first person to circumnavigate the globe in a Gyrocopter. The adventure has included visiting every single state in the US.

James is currently in Iceland and and all being well will be home very soon.

He is in my opinion a pilot truly worthy of the Bill Woodhams Trophy.
host a picture online

Chris Martyr

Re: Bill Woodhams Trophy

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Mike .
There is a list of 2019 awards winners linked to this website's homepage.

It doesn't appear that the BW Award was made to anyone this year . It may of course be possible that James Ketchell is not an LAA member .

But certainly 'one to be proud of ', if he is .

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 pm

It was decided to let it lie for this year, a shame as there are a number of worthy potential winners. James is one of them as there's a good chance he is a member, the majority of factory built gyros have their permits handled by the LAA. Wing Cmdr. Chris Pote flew a EuroFox to NZ, and my favourite, the Flight2Hope that Mark Coreth organised and flew around the Holy Land promoting peace and understanding in that troubled region. All worthy ambassadors for the ethos of the LAA who deserve recognition and thanks for their outstanding achievements. I don't doubt there are others.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Chris, I suspect senility may be creeping up faster than age, so please could you point me towards that list of award winners? All I can find is the Rally Award winning aeroplanes on the review of the weekend.

Thanks,

errr, whoever I am.
Nic Orchard

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:04 am

Brian Hope wrote:It was decided to let it lie for this year, a shame as there are a number of worthy potential winners. James is one of them as there's a good chance he is a member, the majority of factory built gyros have their permits handled by the LAA. Wing Cmdr. Chris Pote flew a EuroFox to NZ, and my favourite, the Flight2Hope that Mark Coreth organised and flew around the Holy Land promoting peace and understanding in that troubled region. All worthy ambassadors for the ethos of the LAA who deserve recognition and thanks for their outstanding achievements. I don't doubt there are others.

Is there any specific reason to leave the trophy on the shelf this year Brian?

Not previous controversy I hope.

James has arrived safely in the Faroe Islands.

Just one more sea crossing and he will be back in the UK as the first person to ever fly a gyrocopter around the world.

Surely the LAA can be first to recognise this historic achievement.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 am

Nic .. :D
Scroll to the bottom of the homepage to the little column , 'Latest News', then click on to , 'Rally Round-Up' .
Then , at the bottom of the article it says ; 'For this years award winners , click here' .

I would link it in , but,,,,,[yes , you know,, :oops: ] Maybe someone cleverer than me will come along and spare my embarrassment ... :lol:

Oh and Mike . I don't think that the awards are given out in every category , every year , so to speak . I'm sure that the BW Award is alive and well and will be re-appearing soon at a rally near you .

[Well , near us at least .. :D ]

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 am

Here is the list Chris.

Click on the link to enlarge.

I am curious as to why the Woodhams trophy was not awarded.

This time next year James Ketchell’s record breaking trip will be history.

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:27 am

Ah thanks. That was what I was looking at, but thought those were separate from the B.W. Trophy (and others?).

I may need to go and clear my head. I think I know how...
Nic Orchard

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:34 pm

I don’t understand why the Bill Woodhams Trophy has to sit on a shelf for a year.

Can you explain what the problem is Brian.

Surely there has been enough controversy about this in the past without creating more.

In simple terms it is an award for a feat of navigation.

What is the problem with shelving it this year?

Who decides these LAA awards?

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Let's be a bit careful. I know some pilots do indeed deserve recognition, but a breath before going again won't go amiss.
I'm sure the award can be awarded retrospectively at some stage if deserved. Remember the rush with thingy
The old phrase " Can't do right for doing wrong" springs to mind and the awards committee weren't treated very well over the ×%$#^ incident.
No wonder there is a bit of hesitation.
Last edited by Alan Kilbride on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I do understand the issues with the Woodhams trophy Alan but is the past any reason to ignore James?

Let me quote what he claimed he was going to do when he left Popham in late Spring.
I will set off from Popham Airfield in Hampshire on a trip that will take me through France, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia and into Russia. I will then cross the Bering Straits to Alaska, and travel across Canada, the USA, Greenland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands before heading back to the UK. I will give talks in schools and to youth organisations in every country I pass through as I make my way around the world, sharing stories of fun and adventure!

I will need to cover a distance of 37,000 kilometres to complete the world record according to regulations set out by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale.
This is my biggest adventure to date…
Today he is in the Faroe Islands.

In a few days he will be back at Popham.

An amazing flight by anyones standards.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 pm

I can't disagree Mike. The bloke has flown what most of us dream of, but do understand the reticence of the LAA.
The awards committee were unfairly treated over Thingie's antics and sadly this may have had a knock on effect.
Last edited by Alan Kilbride on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:01 am

I fully agree with Mike that JK's aviation achievements should be recognised , and I'm sure that they will be . Hopefully , not just by the LAA , but also by the other bodies of the great and the good .

But I feel that we should perhaps allow the LAA to give recognition and acknowledgement to this amazing feat in a way that they see fit .

Bill Woodhams was probably knocking around aeroplanes long before 'you know who' was even thought of and I don't think for a second that the award , given in his memory will be side-lined just because of a minor skirmish which is now in the dim and distant past .

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:57 pm

What about one of us donating a trophy to the LAA for the best annual adventure?

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Mike Flynn wrote:What about one of us donating a trophy to the LAA
Yeah , howz about naming it ; The Ernest Saunders Trophy .

It could be awarded to the person who has notched up the most aviation achievements in a year .

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but cannot quite remember what they were . :lol: