Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Mike Flynn

Cheap historic aircraft

Post by Mike Flynn » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Just seen an Auster on Afors.

G-AJEE is on sale for £18k

1946 AUSTER AUTOCRAT .PERMIT APRIL 2020
AIRFRAME3384 ENGINE 1052.FAIREY REED ALUMINIUM PROP.

How hard is it to maintain such an old aircraft?

And what does this mean for maintenance?

“Piper Colt PA22 United Kingdom

Colt PA22 £15,500

Piper Colt PA22-108 1961non easa C of A so a microlight pilot with a NPPL (SSEA) or LAPL rating can fly this aircraft.
Lycoming 235 105 HP
ARC expiry 02/07/20
748kg MTOW
New Trig TY91 radio
Full set of instruments including DME, VOR, Transponder ”

A bargain but can it be run on a permit?

Brian Hope

Re: Cheap historic aircraft

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 am

Hi Mike, unfortunately the Colt cannot currently be transferred onto a Permit as Piper retain the type certificate so the type is considered to be supported.
However, there is a initiative under consideration by the US FAA called ‘MOSAIC’, the “Modernisation of Special Airworthiness Certificates”. If adopted it would enable owners who do not operate their aircraft commercially to exchange their standard Certificate of Airworthiness for a Special CoA which would have advantages for maintenance, modifications etc. It may be that this might, in in due course, enable aircraft like the rag wing Pipers to transfer a PtF. All very iffy and maybe at the moment admitted, but it is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Austers have a very good type Club so there is plenty of advice available for prospective owners, plus fly-ins etc., throughout the season. There were a lot of Austers built as well, so second-hand airframe spares are reasonably available, good used Cirrus and Gypsy engines and parts less so.
As a general rule, I think older aircraft are easier to maintain than new ones in many ways, they tend to be relatively basic technically, rather like an old Morris 1000.

Mike Flynn

Post by Mike Flynn » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks for that Brian.

I must say I was quite surprised to discover the Gardan Horizon can now be operated on a permit.

It is a shame the Ralley 880 does not qualify.

ROB. THOMASSON

Post by ROB. THOMASSON » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:50 am

The snag with the Auster, and I maintain 3, is spares for the early engines are rocking horse poo. Anyone who has any hangs onto them and won't trade. Even basic servicing spares are hard to find. If you are good with a set of spanners yourself they are simple enough but if you are the type of person who pays for all your maintenance you will need deep pockets and someone who knows the type.

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:38 pm

I must say I was quite surprised to discover the Gardan Horizon can now be operated on a permit.

It is a shame the Rallye 880 does not qualify.
There is still a TC holder for the Rallye and Socata are still able to supply many spares.
The Gardan Horizon however was an orphan with no proper TC holder - only the French state who were not a legal TC holder and therefore special CofA were issued (restricted).

The PtF for the GY80 is an EASA PtF , that is overseen in the UK by CAA who have delegated that responsibility to the LAA.
John Luck