CS Prop Systems - Airmaster versus Woodcomp

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Kingdom

CS Prop Systems - Airmaster versus Woodcomp

Post by Kingdom » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Europa Tri-Gear with a 912S and fixed pitch prop.
As I will be flying out of a 435m strip which has a row of 20 - 30ft high trees in line with my centre line I would like the comfort of a CS prop. I'm looking at the Woodcomp and Airmaster systems and would welcome any advice & comments on experiences of both and if possible the advantages or disadvantages of either.

Cheers
James
James McErlain

llanddewi

Re: CS Prop Systems - Airmaster versus Woodcomp

Post by llanddewi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:06 pm

It might be worth looking at the Idro variable as fitted to the Pioneer 300.
It is a self contained hydraulic system and can work with a variety of prop controllers.
Brian
Brian Williams

Kingdom

Post by Kingdom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:02 am

llanddewi wrote:It might be worth looking at the Idro variable as fitted to the Pioneer 300.
It is a self contained hydraulic system and can work with a variety of prop controllers.
Brian
Thanks Brian,
I tried googling it but didn't get any hits of substance.

James
James McErlain

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Kingdom wrote:
llanddewi wrote:It might be worth looking at the Idro variable as fitted to the Pioneer 300.
Brian
Thanks Brian,
I tried googling it but didn't get any hits of substance.

James
The manufacturer's website is:

http://www.alisport.com/?product=eliche

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi James,
I have a Woodcomp VP prop SR300/3N with Flybox CS controller on my Bristell NG5 and I also had an earlier version of this Prop on a Sportcruiser previously so I have a fair bit of knowledge of the Woodcomp.The latest version has a completely different mechanism compared to the earlier version and is now I believe a virtual copy of of the Airmaster.
I changed from a Fiti VP Prop which I wasn't happy with to the Woodcomp and my choice like yours was between the Airmaster and the Woodcomp due to flying out of a sometimes difficult airstrip. The Airmaster is a nice and very good Prop but a bit heavy and much more expensive. When I priced it 2years ago the Airmaster was £2000 more expensive, probably due to the NZ/UK exchange rate.

Hope this helps,

Alan.
Alan Radford

Kingdom

Post by Kingdom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:24 pm

AlanR wrote:Hi James,
I have a Woodcomp VP prop SR300/3N with Flybox CS controller on my Bristell NG5 and I also had an earlier version of this Prop on a Sportcruiser previously so I have a fair bit of knowledge of the Woodcomp.The latest version has a completely different mechanism compared to the earlier version and is now I believe a virtual copy of of the Airmaster.
I changed from a Fiti VP Prop which I wasn't happy with to the Woodcomp and my choice like yours was between the Airmaster and the Woodcomp due to flying out of a sometimes difficult airstrip. The Airmaster is a nice and very good Prop but a bit heavy and much more expensive. When I priced it 2years ago the Airmaster was £2000 more expensive, probably due to the NZ/UK exchange rate.

Hope this helps,

Alan.
Thanks very much for that information Alan, yes, it is very helpful.

Currently the price difference between the Woodcomp SR3000/3N (did you mean this model?) and the Airmaster is about £1000stg. plus the fitting of the Airmaster is a lot dearer than the Woodcomp.
You say that you use the Flybox CS Controller, I see that it's a lot cheaper(€519+VAT) than the one supplied by Woodcomp (£708 or €808+VAT). They both look very similar, do you know if they operate the same? The Airmaster Controller is quite a bit different with a Knob to select TO/Land, Climb, Cruise, Hold, Feather.

Thanks
James
James McErlain

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Yes a typo I meant the Woodcomp SR3000/3N.
I currently have a Flybox CS controller which I purchased direct from Flybox in Italy.
Woodcomp have their copy of the CS Flybox controller called a Kremen. Flybox accuse Woodcomp of steaing their design when they didn't have a worldwide patent on the CS Controller which they claim was their initial invention.
I had a Kremen on my Sportcruiser and basically as far I am concerned they are the same thing! Either worked fine and works exactly the same, so I would go with whichever you can get at the best price.
I like either of these units because you can select the rpm on the day to suit the conditions and airstrip you are flying out of that day.
The Airmaster controller rpm etc is pre-determined by you in the settings menu so to my mind not quite as quickly on the day configurable.

If you wish,and want to discuss off forum, I am happy for you to send me a PM.

Alan.
Alan Radford

Kingdom

Post by Kingdom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 am

I sent you a PM Alan.
James McErlain

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 am

James,
Now replied to your PM.