2-reg aircraft (Guernsey)

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Elise Mason

2-reg aircraft (Guernsey)

Post by Elise Mason » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of 2-reg aircraft on the Guernsey Register. https://www.2-reg.com/

I'm looking to get a Christen Eagle and I am advised (by the seller) that 2-reg can be flown in the UK without problem, can get an LAA permit, and is ok for me to fly in the UK with a CAA or EASA licence. ie. I don't need a Guernsey licence.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

My insurance company is happy with 2-reg and says that I will also save 12% insurance premium tax which is a bonus.

I'm wondering about the implications for permit renewal and maintenance etc. And whose rules apply regarding the size of registration lettering etc. Presumably Guernsey rules - whatever they are.

Regards,
Elise

tnowak

Re: 2-reg aircraft (Guernsey)

Post by tnowak » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 am

I would suggest you write to LAA Engineering to get their advice on this.
I presume you are going to base the aircraft on Guernsey so, firstly, I would have thought it would be good to know if there are any LAA inspectors on the island.

Tony
Tony Nowak

Elise Mason

Re: 2-reg aircraft (Guernsey)

Post by Elise Mason » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi

No plans to locate in Guernsey at all, i'm in the UK and that's where the aircraft will be. This is the idea of the selling agency who is importing one from Guernsey which he's trying to sell me and he says it's better to leave on the Guernsey 2 Reg as it will be easier to sell in the future as 2 reg is valid throughout the EU as well as the UK. I'm not entirely comfortable with this.

I've had my reply from the LAA as below, and the answer is a categoric no!!

Many thanks for your e-mail. I’m afraid that the short answer is that the LAA can only become involved with aircraft on the G- register. Administration and airworthiness of an aircraft on the Guernsey register would be a matter to be directly overseen by the Guernsey ‘aviation authority’, and frankly we do not have intimate knowledge about the way they operate, and we don’t know what rules might apply regarding pilot licences, engineer qualification or maintenance requirements. If the aircraft is genuinely amateur-built then it should be a relatively simple matter to transfer her to a G-reg, and obtain an Permit to Fly overseen by the LAA. Hope this helps. Good luck, and any queries please just ask.

Further investigation with the DCA (Guernsey aviation authority) indicate all maintenance, licencing, medicals etc must be carried out under their rules. Far too much aggro!