National Licensing and Medical Exemptions expire on Wednesday 8 April 2020

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:53 pm

URGENT – To NPPLs, UK PPLs, Self-Declared Medical Users and EASA Aircraft Operators.

The CAA has just issued advice, that they have been unable to secure extensions to the exemptions that currently allow pilots holding NPPLs or UK PPLs, or flying with a self-declaration of their medical fitness, to fly EASA-Certificated aircraft in the UK. The current exemptions expire on Wednesday 8 April 2020. The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is therefore advising affected pilots to act now to be able to continue flying legally after that date.

Pilots flying non-EASA certificated aircraft, such as LAA Permit types, with NPPLs, UK PPLs or medical self-declaration in the UK are not affected.

Currently pilots with a European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Light Aircraft Pilot’s License (LAPL) or Private Pilot’s License (PPL) can self-declare their medical fitness to fly aircraft certificated by EASA, rather than having to gain a LAPL Medical Certificate, a Class 2 medical with an Aero-Medical Examiner (AME) or a LAPL medical certificate with their NHS General Practitioner (subject to certain criteria).

The LAA has been pushing the CAA and DfT on this for some months. However the exemption that allows this in the UK can only be renewed if EASA extends its derogation that permits national pilot license holders to operate EASA certified aircraft.

EASA has not yet published a decision on extending its derogation. The CAA is therefore advising pilots who are likely to be affected to consider booking and completing a LAPL or Class 2 medical to enable them to continue flying legally. Information about obtaining a GP-issued LAPL can be found here: https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... rtificate/

The UK cannot legally issue a further exemption at this time but, given the very short notice at which an EASA decision is expected, the CAA is working with the Department for Transport (DfT) to try to find an alternative approach.

We will immediately publish any update from EASA, CAA or the DfT as it becomes available. Please monitor our website, www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk for further details.
Stephen Slater

[email protected]

Re: National Licensing and Medical Exemptions expire on Wednesday 8 April 2020

Post by [email protected] » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:58 pm

While I understand the medical thing, The notice seems to ban UK PPLs too regardless of the medical. I am surprised that my UK PPL with a class 2 medical will not be vald to fly a G registered certified aircraft in the UK. What has that got to do with EASA? I thought it was a UK PPL was a ICAO standard licence with more privelages than a LAPL or have I misinterpreted the notice

Ian Fraser
Ian Fraser

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 am

[email protected] wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:58 pm
I am surprised that my UK PPL with a class 2 medical will not be vald to fly a G registered certified aircraft in the UK.

Ian Fraser
I guess that just means ‘EASA’ types doesn’t it Ian ?
LAA have more active PtF types on their books than at any other time before .
Who says that EASA serves no useful purpose..... :D
They’re probably LAA’s most effective sales ambassador.... :lol:

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Chris Martyr wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 am
They’re probably LAA’s most effective sales ambassador.... :lol:
Indeed they are.

Personally, I find it difficult to comprehend that a UK licenced pilot can be prevented from flying a UK registered aeroplane within UK airspace.

And yes, I know all the legal and political arguments.

Rob-s

Post by Rob-s » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:41 am

I have NPPL (A) and (M) that was issued after the deadline in April 2018 (just) that would have seen me given a LAPL with no questions. Now I face not being able to fly any EASA aeroplane, only AnnexII National aircraft or homebuilts etc.
It seems extreme bureaucracy that I could fly a Bulldog but not a C150!

I don't know what the way forward is either, Potentially I face having to fund 25hrs of the 35hrs 'training' for a LAPL, as I think EASA will only credit me with 10hrs from previous licence.
Robert Stephens

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Rob-s wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:41 am
. Now I face not being able to fly any EASA aeroplane, only AnnexII National aircraft or homebuilts etc.
Exactly what the LAA is all about Rob.. :D

But do any of your immediate future flying aspirations include renting/flying an EASA type though ?

As John implies above , don’t go getting unduly bent out of shape over EASA’s short term plans over this . Because they probably don’t have any .

Sit it out ,,,be patient ,,,,if you wait long enough , someone will suggest re-introducing the Class 3 medical and we’ll all be back to common-sense again.

Rjk983

Post by Rjk983 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:09 pm

I’m in the same position as Rob S. my NPPL didn’t bounce through the hoops in time. The medical issue makes no difference to me thankfully but I still won’t be able to fly an EASA type in a months time.

Whilst it isn’t the end of the world if you have access to an Annex1 type it doesn’t help me as I don’t. The closest I can get is making noises while holding bits of an empennage behind me....

It’s a shame Grant Shapps and his GA minister aren’t jumping up and down about this one.
Richard Kennedy

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:58 am

Having a student who just completed his NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) a couple of weeks ago it is a big hit to find out that he will not now be able to fly the PA28 owned by his father that he converted on. His NPPL(SSEA) licence is in the process of being issued by the Ivory Tower. He would have no problem getting an EASA medical to replace his SDM, so the big issue is not having access to Permit or Annex 2 aircraft so he is now completely stuffed by the new ruling.

As mentioned by someone somewhere before, We are British, we fly British registered aircraft, in Britain, what is illegal about that? I have already sent a complaint in to the CAA, perhaps we should all do the same!
Last edited by Chris Thompson on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am

I did email the DFT about the NPPL SSEA to LAPL debacle, asking them why it was changed and asking them to look at it again giving all the reasons why the conversion shouldn't take 20 hrs further training.
I got the usual reply telling me the regulation and not the reason it was changed, nor that they would look at it.
After replying that I was fully aware of the regulation and my email was asking them to look at it with a view to returning to the PRE April 2018, I got the same reply.
Grant Shapps please have a word, it wouldn't take long to correct the error.

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm

I just had a long conversation with the CAA FCL regarding this problem.

To repeat:

UK citizen
UK national licence
UK "G" registration aircraft with a UK CAA Certificate of Airworthiness
Flying in the UK

To the CAA:

Q. What is illegal about the above?
A. It is a matter of "Policy" and I would have to discuss with the "Policy" people. I quote, "Nobody else has phoned about this, you can only object to "Policy" by emailing customerservices at caa dot co dot uk (sorry. cannot use proper email address here, customerservices is all one word)!

I am now doing exactly that and it would be a good idea if a few hundred pilots in this situation did the same!

The expiry of UK licence vs. EASA aircraft is at the same level as if I was a:

UK citizen
UK driving licence
Driving in the UK
BUT - not allowed to drive a VW because it was made in Europe under EU regulations!

I bet that would cause an outcry!
Last edited by Chris Thompson on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Chris Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm
it would be a good idea if a few hundred pilots in this situation did the same!
How about a few THOUSAND pilots giving support to Chris' excellent initiative !

Personally , I think Chris' idea deserves a separate thread to itself .

And probably also one 'across the way' .

Whilst I am extremely fortunate in not having any dealings with "them" whatsoever , I fully understand that there are others for whom this is not the case .

The principle of the thing just reeks of bureaucracy of the worst sort and Chris' VW analogy only goes to highlight the absurdity of it all .

People power...... :wink:

Rjk983

Post by Rjk983 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 am

Chris,

Thanks for taking up the matter with CAA and for posting their response and email address. I will certainly be emailing them along the lines described above.

Do you also post on the Flyer Forum? (I assume that was the "across the way" alluded to by Chris Martyr :lol: )

If you do then could you please add this information to the EASA licencing forum threads that are running. Licensing, EASA, CAA and the ANO forum

If not - do you mind if I cut and paste your posts above verbatim and crediting you?
Richard Kennedy

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:36 am

I don't use any other Forums.

The more pilots complain the better - do it how you wish!

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:00 pm

So, as I understand it, the derogation has lapsed because there was a time limit on it and EASA has yet to publish a decision on renewing it. EASA decisions are not state-specific, surely, because that is the whole point of the organisation. Therefore the lack of a decision should have effects across all EASA states.
I was disappointed, then, to open my copy of Light Aviation and be presented with an interpretation of this situation in true Daily Mail style. EASA are behaving like “spoiled kids and blocking the renewal” and “they ought to be ashamed of themselves”. I was rather hoping that my hobby (and career) could provide a haven from this antagonistic, populist attitude. Please keep politics out of Light Aviation.
Andrew Clarke

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 am

Clarkie wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:00 pm
Please keep politics out of Light Aviation.
Andrew , perhaps you need to take a lesson in history , 1946 to be precise , as to why the ULAA/PFA/LAA got founded in the first place . It was to represent the ‘little guy’ in aviation who knew what he was doing , and shield him from the bungling bureaucrats who didn’t know a Bristol Brabazon from a Bristol Boxkite . Recognise any similarities here ?... :D

It is 20yrs now that the Euroclowns have been screwing around with UK GA licensing . I don’t know if you were flying back then , but I can reassure you that our licensing system has not progressed one iota in that time . They took an excellent licensing system and totally screwed it up !
This isn’t a one-off though , their talents stretch far and wide .

You mention that you have a career in aviation . So what ,,,,you’ll probably find that a large percentage of LAA members are either current or retired aviation professionals . But try and poll the opinion of some of the old-school engineers you may come into contact with . Specifically , the ones who held the old CAA Section-L engineer licences , but needed to convert them to EASA compliant JAR Part-66 licences . The cut-off date was Dec31 2011 . Except half way through 2006 , they brought that date forward to Dec31 2006 !!! The resultant mish-mash brought total chaos into the industry . I won’t go off into 3 pages of what totally defies belief , but it knocked the CAA for 6 , as well as many of the airlines .

Brian was quite correct in that they should hang their heads in shame , and your Daily Mail analogy was a bit ridiculous really . Especially as there was probably somewhere in the region of 7,700 LAA members nodding vigorously in agreement to his comment .
As for behaving like “spoiled kids” ,,,,I think Brian showed remarkable restraint with that one and I was delighted to see him speaking up for the majority .

I can only assume that Andrew missed Brian’s loo-roll quip . Or did that by-pass his GSOH as well ?