Sports and Leisure Aviation Show

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 am

Sorry if this has already been discussed on here but I've only just discovered that there will be no discounted entry fee for LAA members at this years show.

It appears that only the BMAA and BHPA are underwriting the show this year and naturally their members shall benefit from the 50% discount.

So be warned, as presenting your LAA membership card this year will serve no purpose and by being thus forewarned the embarrassment factor will be removed.

Note: I've just been informed by the organisers that any discount given to holders of PFA membership cards at the last two shows may have been given it in error. Oops!
Roger Callow

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Following Roger Callow's post:
Geoff Weighall (BMAA CEO) and myself (LAA CEO) have discussed reciprocal discounts across our respective events. We're in agreement that it's inherently 'a good thing'.

For 2008, BMAA/BHPA offered LAA full participation at SPLASH as a partner, but whilst very tempting, LAA couldn't stretch to it this year. LAA have been offered a large stand, so we'll be there anyway.

BMAA/BHPA are underwriting SPLASH, so any benefits should accrue to their members, but if they make a loss, it's their members who will pay. Under these circumstances, it's reasonable to charge non-members, including LAA the full whack.

And if you really like conspiracy therories, the VAT office has charged LAA members for the discount they might have at their National Rally. I don't think LAA members would want to pay the potential VAT on BMAA members who might attend...oh no, don't get me started on the VAT again.

So, SPLASH looks like it's going to be another excellent gig. I'll be visiting with Geoff to see what LAA might do as a partner in 2009 and we're hoping BMAA/BHPA have a great show. Come along to NEC on 29th 30th Nov. to see what's happening and support us all.
Pete Harvey, CEO LAA.

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Should also have added:
I'm informed there was no error in the discount offered to LAA (PFA) members at the previous Splash shows. Just a nice gesture.
Thanks.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 pm

That's a pity. I'll be going anyway though.

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Just to make it clear on one point.

I was drawing this to the attention of the membership, purely as a "heads up" to avoid any problems when reaching the payment counter.

I had been made aware of the negotiations that had taken place between the LAA and the other organisations involved in financing the show and irrespective of the outcomes of those negotiations, my posting was not intended to be taken as a criticism of the LAA's decision not to financially support the show this year.
Roger Callow