LAA RALLY 2020 SADLY CANCELLED.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm

MAKE A NOTE IN YOUR DIARIES. 3rd, 4th and 5th September 2021.

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the cancellation of the 2020 LAA Rally. The LAA’s rally working group and Sywell aerodrome have been working hard to develop ways in which the Rally could continue and stay true to our traditions, while at the same time keeping our members, volunteers, exhibitors and other visitors safe. However the continuing risk of transmission of COVID at large social gatherings is likely to continue later in the summer and this made the 2020 Rally untenable.

“Planning for the event had begun at the beginning of the year and continued despite the constraints of lockdown in the hope that, with the resumption of recreational flying and the prospect of further easing of lockdown restrictions, it might have been possible to hold an event of some sort at the beginning of September at Sywell” said Eryl Smith, Chairman of the LAA Rally Working Group.

“Despite our ability to physically re-plan the event site to meet social distancing, many of the regular elements of the Rally would have needed to be scaled back or withdrawn. Also many of the regular volunteers who help set up and manage the Rally rightly had reservations about attending this year, so we have reluctantly made the decision to cancel the 2020 event.”

“It was a hard decision to make, so many people across the whole aviation community all so much wanted the Rally to happen, but the decision is the right one” says LAA CEO Steve Slater. “Instead, we should all make a note in our diaries for 3rd, 4th and 5th September 2021. The Rally will celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the formation of the LAA’s direct predecessor, the Ultra-Light Aircraft Association. It will both be a celebration and a welcome reunion for those who can’t get together this year. I promise, it will be one heck of a party!”

Steve Slater
CEO
26th June 2020
Stephen Slater

Simon Brooke

Re: LAA RALLY 2020 SADLY CANCELLED.

Post by Simon Brooke » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Steve

Thanks for the early notification.

I'm an enthusiast member of the LAA, rather than a flying member, and am a bit lacking in mobility so usually potter around Sywell on a mobility scooter.

From where I stand - OK, sit - this is the only decision. In September 2021 we'll either be in control of this blasted visus or we'll be beyond caring....

I hope that you, the staff of the LAA and all members, their family and their friends are weathering this nightmare.

I look forward to a vintage (in more ways than one) fly-in in 2021 :lol:

With the very best wishes to all - and please stay safe
Yours aye
Simon

Simon Brooke
Dunfermline
Simon Brooke

Alan Kilbride

Re: LAA RALLY 2020 SADLY CANCELLED.

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Very sad, but understandable. Thanks for trying unitl the last minute, I know it was hard work.
Luckily there is always the World Tour of Yorkshire next weekend where we can drown our sorrows at Eddsfield on Sat evening.