Factory Built

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

CP

Post by CP » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks to Graham for taking my call today and being Santa Claus as he informed me that everything I wanted for Christmas will be here (hopefully) in 12-18 Months.
It would appear a lot of work has been done and having taken some time to read the document he suggested, If it all pans out we should all be very happy bunnies:-
http://www.easa.eu.int/doc/Press_Room/A ... 202007.pdf

Thanks again for your time and effort!!

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:04 pm

CP regarding the "test case" which you suggest, this may have already happened, I believe there were some foreign registered autogyros being used which the CAA stopped due to them breaking this 28day rule. Although I guess this might not have gone so far as a court case. This was a couple of years ago, at the time there was a reminder that the 28 day rule was for consecutive days the aircraft was in the country, not 28 flying days in a year.
I agree with your desires to be able to buy and fly what people can in some other countries in Europe. It already happens in the sub 450kg catagory and doesnt seem to have caused any difficulties there for people who still want to build the aircraft themselves. For example people can build or buy completed Eurostars, Ikarus C42, Jabiru. I believe that in Czech and a few other European countries you can already operate a 600kg factory built "ultralight" on a sort of permit to fly or simple C of A.
In South Africa they even have some approved "factories" that build homebuilt aircraft. You can buy completed Jabiru J400 most of the Vans range, Rotorway helicopters and a few more types. Not sure of whether they are operated on the same conditions as actually homebuilt aircraft or not.

CP

Post by CP » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Nigel, what you say sounds just too simple but wouldn't it be great!

No need for a test case now, as it looks like it will happen!! :D :D :D

Gary M

Post by Gary M » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Having read that I am not clear whether or not it all applies to kit or plansbuilt or just factory built aircraft. Can anyone clarify that point please?
Does "one man organisation" mean a man in his shed building a new design from plans?

If EASA adopts something like the ASTM standards for Light Sports Aircraft the self declaration standards are still quite onerous, (You have to buy them to read them and they are marked with the buyers name so i cannot distribute my copy)

The LSA standards and Experimental LSA are in addition to the Experimental system whereas we do not have that luxury, but we can hope for the best.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 pm

CP wrote: I don’t mind getting my hands dirty, I just don’t want to fly something I have built.
Forgive me if I've misunderstood...
If you don't feel competent to build it, why should you feel competent to maintain it?

Most of us who maintain aircraft we haven't built would probably love to give building a go but time and other constraints (e.g. space, family, money) get in the way.

With a PFA inspector to help you there's a limit to how badly you can get it wrong!

And as regards being part of Europe: I wouldn't lower myself! :lol:
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

CP

Post by CP » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Rob, you are forgiven!

I have no problem with general maintenance and getting my hands dirty, but I would rather fly in the sky in something put together under manufactured standards (and yes I know there are exceptions)

I would say a large majority of aircraft owners didn’t build the aircraft they fly (again I am aware there are exceptions)

Time, Family, Skill (or lack of) are the reasons I would not build.

I use my PFA/LAA inspector for everything! (he is now a friend )

Love flying Luscombe’s, but would not want to build one!

As for your comment on Europe, I don’t know how to tell you this but……………… you are too late......Lower away!!

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Home built Luscombes. What a wonderful idea. Pity it's unlikely to happen given the way the type certificate and tooling keep getting passed around.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.