Training for LAPL in own Jodel on own strip

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

steve farr

Training for LAPL in own Jodel on own strip

Post by steve farr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Excuse me if this has been done to death, but my son wants to learn to fly and I have a Jodel on a 750m farm strip. Has anyone recently done this ? I have had some guidance from David Cockburn, but it would be great to hear from anyone who has done this. I know training for family members in permit aircraft is now allowed and I think from farm strips. I am hoping to combine his training with some time at a local club in say a 152 to begin with, then the more advanced and cross country flying done later in the Jodel. Perhaps even using the strip as a base for some of this. I have a keen and qualified instructor in mind who is based at the local club. I know training in tail draggers is not done much for new students, but I learned on this very aircraft back in 1984, I just have no idea how to best go about it today. Suggestions please.
Many thanks
Steve

Clive

Re: Training for LAPL in own Jodel on own strip

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Sounds like a great set up, go for it.

My son learned in our permit plane with my old instructor at a farm airfield on old WWII runways. Admittedly not a tailwheel but he is gagging to have a go in the taildragger we have but for now I'm letting him consolidate his general flying. Can't see a downside, obviously gaining experience at busier airfields is needed as experience develops and at the appropriate time but if your son is anything like mine he has been gaining experience since he was 3 years old. Starting on a taildragger might take a little longer with some aspects but then he will start using his feet from the beginning. I wouldn't bother with the 152, will only confuse matters though it is a thought. I'm sure you have other runways nearby that can be used for into wind training on the days yours is out of it.
I'm sure you've thought of all this......

Lucky Guy, as I kept telling my son!

Regards, Clive
Clive James

steve farr

Re: Training for LAPL in own Jodel on own strip

Post by steve farr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks for the message Clive. Since that posting things have moved on a bit, and our project has now been adopted by a local training club which will enable him to make a start with our preferred instructor at their field in a more active environment Then he will move on at the instructors discretion to our aircraft. We would otherwise have a delay in the winter when our field is too wet anyway. It is expected that he will log most of the required time in the Mascaret and be able to later utilise our strip in the process. That said, as he wants to fly for a living, it has been agreed that having his first hours logged on a 152 and within the structure of an active airfield is a good foundation. I think I would prefer to sit behind a captain that is as happy working in a busy structured airfield environment as he is on a field alone and being responsible for everything.
You are also quite right in suggesting that he can pretty much fly the Mascaret as an enthusiastic passenger, with an indulgent Dad in command. It can also be said that there is no substitute for an experienced instructor. Also since first writing he has taken and passed all but three of the exams, having only begin to study just over two weeks ago..... with the explanation that "I did most of this in my GCSE's".
Thanks again for your comments and support and I hope your son gets his tail-wheel rating soon. Clever, these youngsters.

Steve