France airstrip?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Andrew Sutcliffe

France airstrip?

Post by Andrew Sutcliffe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Has anyone bought a house in France with a view to using the land as a private airstrip?
Has anyone bought a house in France with an existing Microlight strip and changed it to private use GA. Please take me through the process!

tnowak

Re: France airstrip?

Post by tnowak » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 am

Try posting your query on the Flyer GA forum. There are some France based aviators on there who may know.
I don't think the French have the equivalent of our "28 day" rule and I believe establishing a private airstrip may be difficult.
Tony
Tony Nowak

Clive

Re: France airstrip?

Post by Clive » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:15 pm

Just messaged with a friend who lives in France and has put a strip out on his land.

He says it's much like the UK with the 28 day rule though practically if no one complains you won't have a problem. Out of town isolated place would be easiest. Like all things in France, if the Mayor is happy everyone will be happy......

There is a distinction between GA and Micro as you suggest, I stopped over at a microlight one in a Jabiru many times and a few years later in an RV. No one bothered when I arrived but later the operator wasn't happy, his 'everyone is welcome here' from my first few visits didn't apply to noisy GA as the planning was strictly microlight, I hadn't noticed. It was South of France holiday belt with a few villages round it but I imagine the protests about noise was the issue with not extending to GA.
BTW, a GA plane that looks and sounds like a microlight would pass as one easily in France, I'm meaning hot ships with Rotax. A Lycosauraus wouldn't get away with it.

Good luck with the search, Regards, Clive
Clive James